2018 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 62 - South Carolina Probate Code
Section 62-5-411. Bond.

Universal Citation: SC Code § 62-5-411 (2018)

Section effective until January 1, 2019. See, also, Section 62-5-409 effective January 1, 2019.

The court, unless for good cause stated, shall require a conservator to furnish a bond conditioned upon faithful discharge of all duties of the trust according to law and will approve all sureties. If bond is required, the person qualifying shall file a statement under oath with the court indicating his best estimate of the value of the personal estate of the protected person and of the income expected from the personal estate during the next year, and he shall execute and file a bond with the court, or give other suitable security, in an amount not less than the estimate. The court shall determine that the bond is duly executed by a corporate surety, or one or more individual sureties whose performance is secured by pledge of personal property, mortgage on real property, or other adequate security. The court may permit the amount of the bond to be reduced by the value of assets of the estate deposited with a domestic financial institution, as defined in Section 62-6-101, in a manner that prevents their unauthorized disposition. Upon application of the conservator or another interested person, or upon the court's own motion, the court may increase or reduce the amount of the bond, release sureties, dispense with security or securities, or permit the substitution of another bond with the same or different sureties. A denial of an application by the court is not an adjudication and does not preclude a formal proceeding.

HISTORY: 1986 Act No. 539, Section 1; 1988 Act No. 659, Section 7; 2010 Act No. 244, Section 34, eff June 7, 2010.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.