2018 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 12 - Taxation
Section 12-4-720. Filing of applications for exemptions.

Universal Citation: SC Code § 12-4-720 (2018)

(A) Applications for property exemptions, other than the exemption provided by Section 12-37-220(A)(9), must be filed as follows:

(1) Except as otherwise provided any property owner whose property may qualify for property exemption shall file an application for exemption with the department within the period provided in Section 12-54-85(F) for claims for refund. This item does not relieve the taxpayer of any responsibility to file timely and accurate property tax returns.

(2) Owners of property exempt under Section 12-37-220(A)(8) shall file an application for exemption before the first penalty date for payment of property taxes.

(3) Applications for exemption are not required for properties owned by the United States Government or those exempt properties enumerated in Section 12-37-220(A)(1), (5), (6), (10), and (B)(9), (13), (14), (15), (17), (23), (25), and (30).

(B) If a taxpayer files a property tax return listing property as exempt, that listing is considered an application for exemption from property taxes.

(C) A taxpayer who is required to file property tax returns with the department shall claim any exemption on the return each year the property is exempt.

(D) Except for the requirement in subsection (C), the owner is not required to file more than one application for each exemption, unless there is a change in the status of the property as reported in the initial application or unless requesting an exemption for property which was not included in the initial or subsequent application.

HISTORY: 1991 Act No. 50, Section 2; 1994 Act No. 516, Section 28; 1995 Act No. 125, Section 2A; 1995 Act No. 125, Section 2B.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.