2018 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 12 - Taxation
CHAPTER 4 - THE SOUTH CAROLINA DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE
Section 12-4-520. Dealings with county tax officials; oversight of county taxation matters.
(1) shall call meetings of all county assessors to provide instruction as to the law governing the assessment and taxation of all classes of property and shall formulate and prescribe rules to govern assessors and county boards of tax appeals in the discharge of their duties;
(2) shall confer with, advise, and direct assessors and county boards of tax appeals as to their duties pursuant to the laws of the State;
(3) may visit counties in the State to investigate the assessment, equalization, and taxation of property subject to taxation and take action necessary to ensure the proper assessment, equalization, and taxation of the property;
(4) as often as annually, may examine the books, papers, and accounts of assessors, auditors, treasurers, and tax collectors, to protect the interests of the State, counties, and other political subdivisions and to render these officers aid or instruction. The department does not have jurisdiction over personnel or equipment purchases of political subdivisions;
(5) shall require county auditors to place upon the assessment rolls omitted property that may have escaped assessment and taxation in whole or in part, in the current or previous years; and
(6) may extend the time for the performance of the duties imposed upon the county assessors or auditors for the valuation of property for tax purposes, and, if the department extends the time for the collection of taxes, the department may postpone the time for the imposition of penalties.
HISTORY: 1991 Act No. 50, Section 2; 2006 Act No. 386, Section 55.B, eff June 14, 2006; 2015 Act No. 87 (S.379), Section 1, eff June 11, 2015.
Effect of Amendment
2015 Act No. 87, Section 1, in (4), substituted "may examine" for "shall examine".