2017 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 4 - Counties
Section 4-9-81. Authority for increasing size of governing body of district; procedure.

Universal Citation: SC Code § 4-9-81 (2017)

(A) The governing body of any special purpose or public service district, or water and sewer authority, which is elected may provide by resolution for an increase in the size of its governing body. The governing body may not reduce the number of members on its governing body which is serving on January 1, 1987.

(B) The resolution is effective only after approval by a majority of the qualified electors in the district voting in a referendum.

(C) The referendum may be called by resolution of the governing body of the district. The county election commission must call a referendum not later than ninety nor earlier than thirty days after district action.

(D) Notice of the referendum must be published in a newspaper of general circulation in the district at least thirty days prior to the referendum.

(E) If the results of the referendum are favorable, the governing body of the district shall call for a special election or an election to be conducted at the time of the general election to elect additional members of the governing body as provided in the resolution as authorized in subsection (A).

(F) The terms of office of any additional members must be established by the governing body of the district so that they are staggered, if the terms of the existing members of the district are staggered. The terms of any members elected under the provisions of this section must be the same length as those members serving on the governing body at the time the election is held, except as provided in this section, in order to stagger the terms.

(G) All costs associated with conducting the referendum or election, or both, provided for in this section must be borne by the affected district.

HISTORY: 1987 Act No. 28 Section 1, eff April 14, 1987.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.