2017 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 4 - Counties
CHAPTER 9 - COUNTY GOVERNMENT
Section 4-9-36. Duties of boards of trustees.
The board as provided for in Section 4-9-35 shall be authorized to exercise powers as to the policies of the county library which shall not be inconsistent with the general policies established by the governing body of the county, and pursuant to that authority shall be empowered to:
(1) Employ a chief librarian whose qualifications and credentials shall meet the certification requirements of the State Library Board, and who shall be responsible to the county library board for the administration of the program and the selection of library staff members required to carry out the functions of the library system.
(2) Purchase, lease, hold and dispose of real and personal property in the name of the county for the exclusive use of the county public library system. Provided, however, any such conveyance, lease or purchase of real property shall be by the county governing body in accordance with the provisions of Sections 4-9-10 et seq. and Sections 5-1-10 et seq., as amended.
(3) Acquire books and other library materials and provide for use thereof throughout the county.
(4) Accept donations of real property, services, books and other items suitable for use in the library system.
(5) Designate or mark equipment, rooms and buildings, and other library facilities to commemorate and identify gifts and donations made to the library system.
(6) Cooperate or enter into contracts or agreements with any public or private agency which results in improved services or the receipt of financial aid in carrying out the functions of the library system. Provided, however, such contracts and agreements shall be subject to approval by the governing body of the county.
(7) Enter into contracts or agreements with other counties to operate regional or joint libraries and related facilities. Provided, however, such contracts and agreements shall be subject to approval by the governing body of the county.
(8) Receive and expend grants, appropriations, gifts and donations from any private or public source for the operation, expansion or improvement of the library system.
(9) Take any actions deemed necessary and proper by the board to establish, equip, operate and maintain an effective library system within limits of approved appropriations of county council.
HISTORY: 1978 Act No. 564 Section 2.