2017 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 4 - Counties
CHAPTER 12 - FEE IN LIEU OF PROPERTY TAXES
Section 4-12-10. Definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Department" means the South Carolina Department of Revenue.
(2) "Project" means land, buildings, and other improvements on the land including water, sewage treatment and disposal facilities, air pollution control facilities, and all other machinery, apparatus, equipment, office facilities, and furnishings which are considered necessary, suitable, or useful by a sponsor. "Project" also may consist of or include aircraft hangered or utilizing an airport in a county so long as the county expressly consents to its inclusion. Aircraft previously subject to taxation in South Carolina qualify pursuant to this provision.
(3) "Sponsor" means one or more entities which sign the inducement agreement with the county and also includes a sponsor affiliate unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.
(4) "Sponsor affiliate" means an entity that joins with or is an affiliate of a sponsor and that participates in the investment in, or financing of, a project.
(5) "Lease agreement" means an agreement between the county and the sponsor leasing the property at the project from the county to the sponsor.
HISTORY: 1995 Act No. 125, Section 4A, approved June 7, 1995 and effective for taxable years beginning after 1995; 2000 Act No. 283, Section 3(B), eff May 19, 2000; 2003 Act No. 69, Section 3.YY.1, eff Jan. 1, 2003; 2008 Act No. 313, Section 2.I.5, eff upon approval (became law without the Governor's signature on June 12, 2008).
Effect of Amendment
The 2000 amendment added items (3), (4) and (5).
The 2003 amendment, in item (2), deleted ", without limiting the generality of the forgoing" after "the land including" and made nonsubstantive changes, in item (3) added "fee inducement" preceding "agreement", and in item (5) substituted the definition of "lease agreement" for the definition of "Title to the property".
The 2008 amendment added the second and third sentences in item (2) relating to aircraft.