2017 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 15 - Civil Remedies and Procedures
CHAPTER 50 - STRUCTURED SETTLEMENT PROTECTION ACT
Section 15-50-60. Application for approval of transfer; notice of hearing.
(A) An application pursuant to this chapter for approval of a transfer of structured settlement payment rights may be made by the transferee and may be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction, including the probate court if the transferee is a minor or the original settlement was approved by the probate court, in the county in which the payee resides, in the county in which the structured settlement obligor or the annuity issuer maintains its principal place of business, or in any court which approved the structured settlement agreement.
(B) Not less than twenty days before the scheduled hearing on an application for approval of a transfer of structured settlement payment rights pursuant to Section 15-50-40, the transferee must file with the court and serve on all interested parties a notice of the proposed transfer and the application for its authorization. The notice must include:
(1) a copy of the transferee's application;
(2) a copy of the transfer agreement;
(3) a copy of the disclosure statement required pursuant to Section 15-50-30;
(4) a listing of each of the payee's dependents, and each dependent's age;
(5) notification that an interested party may support, oppose, or otherwise respond to the transferee's application, in person or by counsel, by submitting written comments to the court, or by participating in the hearing; and
(6) notification of the time and place of the hearing and notification of the manner and the time for filing written responses to the application, which must be not less than fifteen days after service of the transferee's notice, for consideration by the court.
HISTORY: 2002 Act No. 252, Section 1.