2016 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 16 - Crimes and Offenses
CHAPTER 3 - OFFENSES AGAINST THE PERSON
Section 16-3-2010. Definitions.
As used in this article:
(1) "Business" means a corporation, partnership, proprietorship, firm, enterprise, franchise, organization, or self-employed individual.
(2) "Charitable organization" means a charitable organization pursuant to Section 33-56-20.
(3) "Debt bondage" means the status or condition of a debtor arising from a pledge by the debtor of his personal services or those of a person under his control as a security for debt, if the value of those services as reasonably assessed is not applied toward the liquidation of the debt or the length and nature of those services are not respectively limited and defined or if the principal amount of the debt does not reasonably reflect the value of the items or services for which the debt was incurred.
(4) "Forced labor" means any type of labor or services performed or provided by a person rendered through another person's coercion of the person providing the labor or services.
This definition does not include labor or services performed or provided by a person in the custody of the Department of Corrections or a local jail, detention center, or correctional facility.
(5) "Involuntary servitude" means a condition of servitude induced through coercion.
(6) "Person" means an individual, corporation, partnership, charitable organization, or another legal entity.
(7) "Sex trafficking" means the recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for one of the following when it is induced by force, fraud, or coercion or the person performing the act is under the age of eighteen years and anything of value is given, promised to, or received, directly or indirectly, by another person:
(a) criminal sexual conduct pursuant to Section 16-3-651;
(b) criminal sexual conduct in the first degree pursuant to Section 16-3-652;
(c) criminal sexual conduct in the second degree pursuant to Section 16-3-653;
(d) criminal sexual conduct in the third degree pursuant to Section 16-3-654;
(e) criminal sexual conduct with a minor pursuant to Section 16-3-655;
(f) engaging a child for sexual performance pursuant to Section 16-3-810;
(g) producing, directing, or promoting sexual performance by a child pursuant to Section 16-3-820;
(h) sexual battery pursuant to Section 16-3-651;
(i) sexual conduct pursuant to Section 16-3-800; or
(j) sexual performance pursuant to Section 16-3-800.
(8) "Services" means an act committed at the behest of, under the supervision of, or for the benefit of another person.
(9) "Trafficking in persons" means when a victim is subjected to or a person attempts to subject a victim to sex trafficking, forced labor or services, involuntary servitude, or debt bondage by employing one of the following:
(a) physically restraining or threatening to physically restrain another person;
(b) knowingly destroying, concealing, removing, confiscating, or possessing an actual or purported passport or other immigration document, or another actual or purported government identification document, of the victim;
(c) extortion or blackmail;
(d) causing or threatening to cause financial harm to the victim;
(e) facilitating or controlling a victim's access to a controlled substance; or
(10) "Victim of trafficking in persons" or "victim" means a person who has been subjected to the crime of trafficking in persons.
HISTORY: 2012 Act No. 258, Section 1, eff December 15, 2012; 2015 Act No. 7 (S.196), Section 3, eff April 2, 2015.
Effect of Amendment
2015 Act No. 7, Section 3, in (7), substituted "person performing the act" for "person forced to perform the act"; deleted former (7)(g), relating to Section 16-3-800; and redesignated the remaining paragraphs accordingly.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.