2013 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 63 - South Carolina Children's Code
CHAPTER 7 - CHILD PROTECTION AND PERMANENCY
SECTION 63-7-720. Reasonable efforts to prevent removal.
(A) An order issued as a result of the probable cause hearing held pursuant to Section 63-7-710 concerning a child of whom the department has assumed legal custody shall contain a finding by the court of whether reasonable efforts were made by the department to prevent removal of the child and a finding of whether continuation of the child in the home would be contrary to the welfare of the child. The order shall state:
(1) the services made available to the family before the department assumed legal custody of the child and how they related to the needs of the family;
(2) the efforts of the department to provide services to the family before assuming legal custody of the child;
(3) why the efforts to provide services did not eliminate the need for the department to assume legal custody;
(4) whether a meeting was convened as provided in Section 63-7-640, the persons present, and the outcome of the meeting or, if no meeting was held, the reason for not holding a meeting;
(5) what efforts were made to place the child with a relative known to the child or in another familiar environment;
(6) whether the efforts to eliminate the need for the department to assume legal custody were reasonable including, but not limited to, whether services were reasonably available and timely, reasonably adequate to address the needs of the family, reasonably adequate to protect the child and realistic under the circumstances, and whether efforts to place the child in a familiar environment were reasonable.
(B) If the court finds that reasonable services would not have allowed the child to remain safely in the home, the court shall find that removal of the child without services or without further services was reasonable.
HISTORY: 2008 Act No. 361, Section 2.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.