2013 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 58 - Public Utilities, Services and Carriers
CHAPTER 27 - ELECTRIC UTILITIES AND ELECTRIC COOPERATIVES
ARTICLE 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS
- SECTION 58-27-10. Definitions.
- SECTION 58-27-20. Chapter inapplicable to certain areas.
- SECTION 58-27-30. Corporations subject to chapter even before commencing operations.
- SECTION 58-27-40. Compliance with orders, decisions, directions, rules and regulations.
- SECTION 58-27-50. Assessments on electric utilities to pay expenses of Commission.
- SECTION 58-27-60. Repealed by 2006 Act No. 318, Section 233, eff May 24, 2006.
- SECTION 58-27-70. Employment of staff; suits or actions arising under chapter.
- SECTION 58-27-80. Annual report of Commission.
- SECTION 58-27-90. Effect of chapter on constitutional rights and powers of municipalities.
- SECTION 58-27-100. Effect of chapter on municipal police regulations and ordinances.
- SECTION 58-27-110. Effect of chapter on interstate commerce.
- SECTION 58-27-120. Effect of chapter on duties declared in Broad River case.
- SECTION 58-27-130. Condemnation powers of electric companies, State authorities and electric cooperatives.
- SECTION 58-27-140. General powers of Commission.
- SECTION 58-27-150. Promulgation of rules and regulations.
- SECTION 58-27-160. Investigation and examination of condition and management of utility.
- SECTION 58-27-170. Joint hearings and joint or concurrent orders; joint investigations.
- SECTION 58-27-180. Valuations and revaluations of property of utilities.
- SECTION 58-27-190. Inspection of property; audit of books; examination of employees of utilities.
- SECTION 58-27-200. Inspection of tax returns and other information.
- SECTION 58-27-210. Actions to prevent or discontinue violations of law or orders of Commission.
- SECTION 58-27-220. Enforcement and administration of chapter.
- SECTION 58-27-230. Exercise of other powers of Commission not excluded.
- SECTION 58-27-240. Construction of South Carolina Rural Development Act of 1996.
- SECTION 58-27-250. Restrictions on interruption of electric service to residential customer for nonpayment of bill; exceptions.
ARTICLE 3. FRANCHISES AND PERMITS
- SECTION 58-27-410. Procedure for granting of exclusive municipal franchises to furnish light.
- SECTION 58-27-415. Franchise fee not to be paid or collected under "Stateline Accounts"; calculation of franchise fee.
- SECTION 58-27-420. Franchises and permits shall be indeterminate.
- SECTION 58-27-430. Exchange of old limited permit or franchise for indeterminate permit.
- SECTION 58-27-440. Revocation of indeterminate permit for inadequacy of service.
- SECTION 58-27-450. Continuance of service on expiration of franchise.
ARTICLE 5. SERVICE RIGHTS OF ELECTRIC SUPPLIERS
- SECTION 58-27-610. Definitions.
- SECTION 58-27-620. Service rights of and restrictions on electric suppliers.
- SECTION 58-27-630. Service rights and restrictions in areas within consolidated political subdivisions.
- SECTION 58-27-640. Assignment of service areas.
- SECTION 58-27-650. Reassignment of service areas or portions thereof.
- SECTION 58-27-660. Supplier may furnish service in area served by another.
- SECTION 58-27-670. Service in area becoming part of municipality; premises located within boundaries of electric cooperative or corridor.
- SECTION 58-27-680. Effect of continuation of service.
- SECTION 58-27-690. Act 431 of 1984 not affected by Act 173 of 1987.
ARTICLE 7. RATES AND CHARGES
- SECTION 58-27-810. Rates shall be just and reasonable.
- SECTION 58-27-820. Schedule of rates, service rules and regulations and service contracts shall be filed with Commission.
- SECTION 58-27-830. Utility shall not charge rates different from those in schedule.
- SECTION 58-27-840. Preferences and unreasonable differences in rates shall not be made; classifications may be established.
- SECTION 58-27-850. Investigation and change of rates by commission.
- SECTION 58-27-860. Proposed rate changes; prior approval.
- SECTION 58-27-865. "Fuel cost" defined; estimated fuel costs; rebuttable presumption; duties of commission.
- SECTION 58-27-870. Commission action on proposed rate changes; refund of excessive charges.
- SECTION 58-27-880. Repealed by 1983 Act No. 138, Section 21, eff June 15, 1983.
- SECTION 58-27-890 to 58-27-910. Repealed by 1983 Act No. 138 Section 21, eff June 15, 1983.
- SECTION 58-27-920. Schedule of rates put into effect after preliminary investigation.
- SECTION 58-27-930. Petition for hearing on change in rates; suspension of new rates pending hearing.
- SECTION 58-27-940. Order confirming, modifying or vacating former order; service; effective date of rate changes.
- SECTION 58-27-950. Petition for hearing as prerequisite to bringing cause of action challenging order.
- SECTION 58-27-960. Reparation orders; suits to enforce.
- SECTION 58-27-970. Participation in profits arising from efficiency.
- SECTION 58-27-980. Contracts subject to control and approval of Commission.
- SECTION 58-27-990. Contracts with other utilities.
- SECTION 58-27-1000. Charges for electricity established by municipal contract or franchise.
- SECTION 58-27-1010. Commission shall not regulate contracts made by municipalities.
- SECTION 58-27-1020. Capitalization for rate-making purposes.
- SECTION 58-27-1030. Sales of appliances shall not be considered in rate making.
- SECTION 58-27-1040. Certain sections cumulative.
ARTICLE 9. EXTENSION AND ABANDONMENT OF SERVICE; TRANSFER OF PROPERTY
- SECTION 58-27-1210. Extension of facilities; commission approval.
- SECTION 58-27-1220. Extensions by municipalities.
- SECTION 58-27-1230. Certificate of public convenience and necessity shall be obtained prior to construction, operation or extension of system; exceptions.
- SECTION 58-27-1240. Prerequisites to issuance of certificate.
- SECTION 58-27-1250. Issuance or refusal of certificate or modified certificate.
- SECTION 58-27-1260. Order preliminary to issuance of certificate.
- SECTION 58-27-1270. Cease and desist order when construction or operation proceeds in absence of certificate.
- SECTION 58-27-1280. Order where construction or extension causes unreasonable interference.
- SECTION 58-27-1290. Abandonment of service.
- SECTION 58-27-1300. Disposition of properties, powers, franchises or privileges; certain out-of-state property may be sold.
- SECTION 58-27-1310. Lease of property and franchises.
- SECTION 58-27-1320. Municipality may purchase property operated under indeterminate permit.
- SECTION 58-27-1330. Notice of municipality's intent to acquire property of utility.
- SECTION 58-27-1340. Determination of just compensation for purchase of electrical utility.
- SECTION 58-27-1350. Payment of compensation and transfer of property after approval in municipal election.
- SECTION 58-27-1360. Acquisition of property of supplier of electricity when area annexed to or incorporated as municipality.
ARTICLE 11. ADEQUACY OF SERVICE, REPORTS, ACCOUNTS, AND THE LIKE
- SECTION 58-27-1510. Service shall be adequate, efficient and reasonable.
- SECTION 58-27-1520. Ordering improvement of service.
- SECTION 58-27-1530. Certain wires shall not be erected near public road.
- SECTION 58-27-1540. System of accounts.
- SECTION 58-27-1550. Annual depreciation; depreciation reserve.
- SECTION 58-27-1560. Office of utility; removal of books and papers from State.
- SECTION 58-27-1570. Production of books and records.
- SECTION 58-27-1580. Furnishing information and reports; forms.
- SECTION 58-27-1590. Meters to measure electricity going into or out of State; records and reports thereof.
ARTICLE 13. ISSUANCE AND SALES OF SECURITIES
- SECTION 58-27-1710. Securities shall not be issued without approval of Commission; exceptions.
- SECTION 58-27-1720. Application for approval.
- SECTION 58-27-1730. Investigation and hearing as to value of issue of securities; certificate of authority.
- SECTION 58-27-1740. Limitation of amount and use of proceeds of issue.
- SECTION 58-27-1750. Certain sales of securities by or to employees prohibited.
- SECTION 58-27-1760. Permissible sales of securities to employees.
ARTICLE 15. COMMISSION HEARINGS, INVESTIGATIONS AND PROCEEDINGS
- SECTION 58-27-1910. Promulgation of rules governing pleadings, practice and procedure.
- SECTION 58-27-1920. Rules governing hearings and proceedings.
- SECTION 58-27-1930. Additional hearings; notice thereof.
- SECTION 58-27-1940. Petition alleging improper act by electrical utility.
- SECTION 58-27-1950. Service of copy of complaint.
- SECTION 58-27-1960. Issuance and service of subpoenas and other process.
- SECTION 58-27-1970. Service of pleadings and notices.
- SECTION 58-27-1980. Time, place and notice of hearing.
- SECTION 58-27-1990. Dismissal of petition without hearing.
- SECTION 58-27-2000. Administration of oaths; examination of witnesses; certification of official acts.
- SECTION 58-27-2010. Contempt proceedings.
- SECTION 58-27-2020. Hearing before one or more commissioners.
- SECTION 58-27-2030. Employment and duties of special agent or examiner.
- SECTION 58-27-2040. Persons entitled to be heard at hearing and to introduce evidence.
- SECTION 58-27-2050. Depositions.
- SECTION 58-27-2060. Self incrimination; immunity from prosecution.
- SECTION 58-27-2070. Copies of official documents and orders as evidence.
- SECTION 58-27-2080. Compensation of witnesses.
- SECTION 58-27-2090. Charges by affiliated interests.
- SECTION 58-27-2100. Findings and orders of Commission.
- SECTION 58-27-2110. Service of orders on parties.
- SECTION 58-27-2120. Effective date of orders.
- SECTION 58-27-2130. Rescission or amendment of orders or decisions.
- SECTION 58-27-2140. Records of proceedings shall be kept.
- SECTION 58-27-2150. Rehearings.
ARTICLE 17. REVIEW OF COMMISSION ORDERS
- SECTION 58-27-2310. Action to vacate order of commission; limitations.
- SECTION 58-27-2320. Stay or suspension of Commission's order pending review.
- SECTION 58-27-2330. Repealed by 2006 Act No. 387, Section 54, eff. July 1, 2006.
- SECTION 58-27-2340. Burden of proof shall be on complainant.
ARTICLE 19. PENALTIES
- SECTION 58-27-2410. General penalty.
- SECTION 58-27-2420. Every violation shall constitute a separate offense.
- SECTION 58-27-2430. Penalties shall be cumulative; suit for one penalty shall not bar another suit.
- SECTION 58-27-2440. Actions to recover penalties.
- SECTION 58-27-2450. Principals responsible for act of agents.
- SECTION 58-27-2460. Penalties not applicable to municipality but to officers, agents or employees personally.
ARTICLE 21. TERMINATION OF ELECTRIC SERVICE DUE TO NONPAYMENT
- SECTION 58-27-2510. Definitions.
- SECTION 58-27-2520. Termination procedures; contents.
- SECTION 58-27-2530. Third-party notification program.
- SECTION 58-27-2540. Disconnection when public safety emergency exists.
- SECTION 58-27-2550. Promulgation of regulations.
- SECTION 58-27-2560. Private right of action; duty of care.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.