2013 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 58 - Public Utilities, Services and Carriers
CHAPTER 23 - MOTOR VEHICLE CARRIERS
ARTICLE 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS
- SECTION 58-23-10. Definitions.
- SECTION 58-23-20. Transportation by motor vehicle for compensation regulated.
- SECTION 58-23-25. Public Service Commission's motor carrier regulatory authority, defined.
- SECTION 58-23-30. "For compensation" defined.
- SECTION 58-23-40. Certificate and fee requirements.
- SECTION 58-23-50. Chapter not applicable to transportation for certain purposes.
- SECTION 58-23-60. Chapter not applicable to business within certain areas.
- SECTION 58-23-70. Chapter not applicable to occasional trip.
- SECTION 58-23-80. Penalties.
- SECTION 58-23-90. Repealed by 2005 Act No. 27, Section 12, eff July 1, 2005.
- SECTION 58-23-100. Transfer of property pending suit shall be invalid.
- SECTION 58-23-110. Motor carrier transportation contracts; definition; hold harmless provisions; exception.
ARTICLE 3. ISSUANCE AND REVOCATION OF CERTIFICATES
- SECTION 58-23-210. Classes of certificates; application and hearing.
- SECTION 58-23-220. Class A certificates.
- SECTION 58-23-230. Class B certificates.
- SECTION 58-23-240. Class C certificates.
- SECTION 58-23-250. Class D certificates.
- SECTION 58-23-260. Class E certificates.
- SECTION 58-23-270. Class F certificates.
- SECTION 58-23-280. Provisions governing class A and C certificates shall apply to D and E certificates.
- SECTION 58-23-290. Partial A, B and D certificates.
- SECTION 58-23-300. Publication of notice of hearings on applications for class A, B or D certificates.
- SECTION 58-23-310. Certain applicants granted certificates as matter of right.
- SECTION 58-23-320. Suspension, revocation, alteration or amendment of certificates; appeal.
- SECTION 58-23-330. Grounds for issuance or denial of certificate.
- SECTION 58-23-340. Alienation or lease of certificates issued after July 1, 1983.
- SECTION 58-23-350. Repealed by 2002 Act No. 301, Section 4, eff June 3, 2002.
ARTICLE 5. ANNUAL APPLICATIONS AND LICENSE FEES
- SECTION 58-23-510. Applications for annual licenses.
- SECTION 58-23-520. Information which shall be furnished in applications for class A and B certificates.
- SECTION 58-23-530. License fees for class A certificate holders having twenty or more vehicles.
- SECTION 58-23-540. Computation of carrying weight of passenger vehicles.
- SECTION 58-23-550. License fees for class B certificate holders having twenty or more vehicles.
- SECTION 58-23-560. License fees for class A, B, or C certificate holders having less than twenty vehicles.
- SECTION 58-23-570. Information which shall be furnished in application for class D certificate.
- SECTION 58-23-580. Repealed by 1995 Act No. 145, Part II, Section 51H, eff June 29, 1995.
- SECTION 58-23-590. Carriers of household goods and hazardous waste for disposal; regulation; Office of Compliance; fees.
- SECTION 58-23-600. Time for payment of fees.
- SECTION 58-23-610. Fees shall not be refunded for period when license not used; exception.
- SECTION 58-23-620. Situations in which local fees may or may not be imposed.
- SECTION 58-23-630. Distribution of license fees.
- SECTION 58-23-640, 58-23-650. Repealed by 2002 Act No. 301, Section 4, eff June 3, 2002.
ARTICLE 7. DRIVERS' PERMITS [REPEALED]
- SECTION 58-23-810 to 58-23-830. Repealed by 1977 Act No. 92, Section 1.
ARTICLE 9. INSURANCE OR BOND
- SECTION 58-23-910. Insurance, bond, or certificate of self-insurance required of certificate holders generally.
- SECTION 58-23-920. Insurance required of owners of motor vehicles transporting goods for hire.
- SECTION 58-23-930. Insurance not required of owners of certain motor vehicles subject to Interstate Commerce Commission.
ARTICLE 11. RIGHTS AND DUTIES GENERALLY
- SECTION 58-23-1010. General regulatory powers of commission.
- SECTION 58-23-1020. Certain routes or schedules shall not be changed without permit from Commission.
- SECTION 58-23-1030. Occasional detours; use of substitute or reserve vehicles in emergencies.
- SECTION 58-23-1040. Carriers liable for baggage only when checked.
- SECTION 58-23-1050. Certain statutory provisions not applicable to baggage.
- SECTION 58-23-1060. Commission may require establishment of bus stations.
- SECTION 58-23-1070. Promulgation of rules and regulations as to vehicles for hire at resorts.
- SECTION 58-23-1080. Special plates or markers for carriers.
- SECTION 58-23-1090. Special markers for reserve or substitute passenger vehicles.
ARTICLE 12. SAFETY REGULATIONS
- SECTION 58-23-1110. Definitions.
- SECTION 58-23-1120. Compliance by motor carriers.
- SECTION 58-23-1130. Rulemaking by Commission.
- SECTION 58-23-1140. Exclusion of transporters of farm or forest products.
ARTICLE 13. TAXIS IN COUNTIES
- SECTION 58-23-1210. Licensing of taxis by governing body of a county or city.
- SECTION 58-23-1215. Exception to meaning of operating a taxi.
- SECTION 58-23-1220. Licensing of taxis by governing body of a county or city.
- SECTION 58-23-1230. Bond may be filed in lieu of insurance.
- SECTION 58-23-1240. "Taxi" plate; certificate of insurance.
- SECTION 58-23-1250. Name of owner and rates shall be posted in taxi.
- SECTION 58-23-1260. Driver identification card shall be posted in taxi and copy furnished to police.
- SECTION 58-23-1270. Qualifications of drivers.
- SECTION 58-23-1280. Solicitation of passengers.
- SECTION 58-23-1290. Vehicles shall answer calls in order received.
- SECTION 58-23-1300. Occupancy of vehicle when answering call.
- SECTION 58-23-1310. Drivers shall not take possession of baggage without consent of owner.
- SECTION 58-23-1320. Use of taxi for prostitution or lewd act or transporting person to place for such purpose.
- SECTION 58-23-1330. Taxi shall not transport persons with contagious disease.
- SECTION 58-23-1340. Vehicles shall be kept clean.
- SECTION 58-23-1350. Vehicles shall not be used for sleeping or certain other purposes.
- SECTION 58-23-1360. Transfer of license upon replacement of vehicle.
- SECTION 58-23-1370. Revocation of driver's license.
- SECTION 58-23-1380. Surrender of taxi license when insurance or bond cancelled.
- SECTION 58-23-1390. Revocation of taxi license.
- SECTION 58-23-1400. Fee for reinstatement of insurance or bond.
- SECTION 58-23-1410. Penalties.
ARTICLE 15. BUSES AND TAXIS IN CITIES OF 30,000 TO 50,000 [REPEALED]
- SECTION 58-23-1510. Repealed by 1989 Act No. 184, Section 10, eff June 8, 1989.
ARTICLE 17. PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION PASSENGER RIGHTS
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.