2013 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 58 - Public Utilities, Services and Carriers
CHAPTER 15 - RAILROAD, STREET RAILWAY, STEAMBOAT AND CANAL COMPANIES
ARTICLE 1. INCORPORATION AND ORGANIZATION GENERALLY
- SECTION 58-15-10. Petition for incorporation of railroad, street railway, steamboat or canal company.
- SECTION 58-15-20. Publication of notice of application.
- SECTION 58-15-30. Opponents of application may appear; action on application.
- SECTION 58-15-40. Issuance of commission to incorporators; authorization for opening books of subscription after giving of notice.
- SECTION 58-15-50. Manner in which subscriptions shall be payable; action against subscriber for failure to perform.
- SECTION 58-15-60. Organization of company.
- SECTION 58-15-70. Filing and contents of incorporators' return.
- SECTION 58-15-80. Effect of failure to file return within twelve months.
- SECTION 58-15-90. Issuance of charter.
- SECTION 58-15-100. Recordation and filing of charter and other documents.
- SECTION 58-15-110. Effect of irregularity in incorporation.
- SECTION 58-15-120. Incorporators shall turn over subscription lists and other papers to corporation.
- SECTION 58-15-130. Forfeiture of charter for failure to commence or complete construction or operation within certain time.
- SECTION 58-15-140. Capital stock shall not be issued until price paid; exception.
- SECTION 58-15-150. Railroads may issue no par common stock.
- SECTION 58-15-160. Manner in which charters may be amended.
- SECTION 58-15-170. Stockholders' meeting shall authorize amendment.
- SECTION 58-15-180. Stockholders' pre-emptive right.
- SECTION 58-15-190. Duration of charters.
- SECTION 58-15-200. Fees shall be paid into State Treasury.
- SECTION 58-15-210. Charters subject to repeal, alteration or amendment.
- SECTION 58-15-220. Reserved right of taxation.
- SECTION 58-15-230. Repealed by 1981 Act No. 114, Section 1, eff June 16, 1981.
- SECTION 58-15-240. Fictitious increase of stock or indebtedness shall be void.
- SECTION 58-15-250. Stockholder entitled to one vote for each share of stock held or owned by him.
- SECTION 58-15-260. Stock transfer shall be valid, except between parties, only if entered on corporation's books.
- SECTION 58-15-270. Stockholder's right to inspect books.
ARTICLE 3. PROVISIONS AFFECTING CANAL COMPANIES
- SECTION 58-15-410. Powers of canal companies.
- SECTION 58-15-420. Rights to compensation for damages not affected.
- SECTION 58-15-430. Canal companies may mortgage property and franchises and issue bonds.
- SECTION 58-15-440. State may acquire property of canal companies.
- SECTION 58-15-450. Transfer or other disposition of canal rights of State.
ARTICLE 5. PROVISIONS AFFECTING STEAMBOAT COMPANIES
ARTICLE 7. PROVISIONS AFFECTING BOTH RAILROAD AND STEAMBOAT COMPANIES
- SECTION 58-15-710. Bicycles and baby carriages deemed baggage.
- SECTION 58-15-720. Toilet facilities.
ARTICLE 9. PROVISIONS AFFECTING RAILROADS, ELECTRIC RAILROADS AND THE LIKE
- SECTION 58-15-810. Protection of private crossings over railroads.
- SECTION 58-15-820. Wilful obstruction of railroad or electric railway.
- SECTION 58-15-830. Placing explosives on railroad rails.
- SECTION 58-15-840. Taking or removing brasses, bearings, waste or packing from railroad cars.
- SECTION 58-15-850. Breaking and entering or shooting into cars.
- SECTION 58-15-860. Injuring or destroying electric signals or other structures or mechanisms.
- SECTION 58-15-870. Injuring railroad or electric railway generally.
- SECTION 58-15-880. Riotous or disorderly conduct on trains; ejection.
- SECTION 58-15-890. Use in advertisement of cross usually used as crossing sign by railroads.
- SECTION 58-15-900. Making, selling or purchasing duplicate railroad switch keys.
- SECTION 58-15-910. Bell and whistle shall be installed on locomotives and sounded at crossings.
- SECTION 58-15-920. Lien of judgments for certain injuries.
- SECTION 58-15-930. Liability of railroads having relief departments.
- SECTION 58-15-940. Fiscal year for railroads.
- SECTION 58-15-950. Reports to conform to fiscal year.
- SECTION 58-15-960. Time for filing annual reports.
ARTICLE 11. VIOLATIONS BY RAILROAD COMPANIES OF INTERSTATE COMMERCE ACT
- SECTION 58-15-1110. Violation by railroads of Interstate Commerce Act shall be unlawful.
- SECTION 58-15-1120. County where violation deemed committed.
- SECTION 58-15-1130. Taking part in violations shall be unlawful.
- SECTION 58-15-1140. Each violation shall constitute a separate offense.
ARTICLE 13. CONDEMNATION BY RAILWAYS AND CANALS OF LANDS OR RIGHTS OF WAY [REPEALED]
- SECTION 58-15-1210 to 58-15-1370. Repealed by 1987 Act No. 173, Section 55, eff nine months from approval by Governor (approved by Governor June 30, 1987).
ARTICLE 15. COMMISSION REGULATION OF RAILROAD CROSSINGS
- SECTION 58-15-1510. Commission may provide rules and regulations with reference to crossing.
- SECTION 58-15-1520. Investigation of crossings requiring overpass or underpass.
- SECTION 58-15-1530. Payment of expense of elimination or relocation of grade crossings.
- SECTION 58-15-1540. Eliminated crossings shall be closed.
ARTICLE 17. ELIMINATION OF RAILROAD AND INTERURBAN ELECTRIC RAILROAD GRADE CROSSINGS AT INSTANCE OF OTHERS THAN COMMISSION
- SECTION 58-15-1610. Definitions.
- SECTION 58-15-1620. Application of article.
- SECTION 58-15-1625. Department of Transportation authorized to eliminate railroad grade crossings.
- SECTION 58-15-1630. Notice to railroad and effort to agree on plan for elimination of grade crossing.
- SECTION 58-15-1640. Procedure when agreement shall not be reached.
- SECTION 58-15-1650. Railroad company may select materials; minimum standards.
- SECTION 58-15-1660. Division of costs.
- SECTION 58-15-1670. Specifications as to overhead bridges and approaches thereto.
- SECTION 58-15-1680. Underpasses and overhead bridges shall meet specifications of Department of Transportation.
- SECTION 58-15-1690. Time within which railroad shall commence work; effect of failure so to do.
- SECTION 58-15-1700. Appeal to Commission and to court.
- SECTION 58-15-1710. Direct appeal to court.
- SECTION 58-15-1720. Construction pending appeal.
- SECTION 58-15-1730. Continuance of crossings as private crossings.
- SECTION 58-15-1740. Special agreements.
ARTICLE 19. ALTERATION OF RAILROAD GRADE SEPARATION STRUCTURES
- SECTION 58-15-1910. Department of Transportation shall cooperate in relation to grade separation structures.
- SECTION 58-15-1920. Necessity of work shall be determined by Department; notice to companies.
- SECTION 58-15-1930. Apportionment of costs.
- SECTION 58-15-1940. Grade separation structures to which article shall apply.
- SECTION 58-15-1950. Appeal to Supreme Court; stay of construction.
ARTICLE 21. CONSTRUCTION AND MAINTENANCE OF RAILROAD GRADE CROSSINGS OF HIGHWAYS
- SECTION 58-15-2110. Railroads shall construct and maintain grade crossings of highways.
- SECTION 58-15-2120. Department of Transportation may make specifications and enter into agreements concerning grade crossings of State highways; penalties may be waived by Department.
- SECTION 58-15-2130. Penalty for noncompliance.
- SECTION 58-15-2140. Article shall not affect certain penalties.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.