2013 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 33 - Corporations, Partnerships and Associations
CHAPTER 31 - SOUTH CAROLINA NONPROFIT CORPORATION ACT
SECTION 33-31-708. Action by written or electronic ballot.
(a) Unless prohibited or limited by the articles or bylaws, any action that may be taken at any annual, regular, or special meeting of members may be taken without a meeting if the corporation delivers a written or electronic ballot to every member entitled to vote on the matter.
(b) A written or electronic ballot shall:
(1) set forth each proposed action; and
(2) provide an opportunity to vote for or against each proposed action.
(c) Approval by written or electronic ballot pursuant to this section is valid only when the number of votes cast by ballot equals or exceeds the quorum required to be present at a meeting authorizing the action, and the number of approvals equals or exceeds the number of votes that would be required to approve the matter at a meeting at which the total number of votes cast was the same as the number of votes cast by ballot.
(d) All solicitations for votes by written or electronic ballot shall:
(1) indicate the number of responses needed to meet the quorum requirements;
(2) state the percentage of approvals necessary to approve each matter other than election of directors; and
(3) specify the time by which a ballot must be received by the corporation in order to be counted.
(e) Except as otherwise provided in the articles or bylaws, a written or electronic ballot may not be revoked.
HISTORY: 1994 Act No. 384, Section 1; 2006 Act No. 255, Section 1, eff April 8, 2006.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.