2013 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 15 - Civil Remedies and Procedures
SECTION 15-49-10. Application for change of name.

SC Code § 15-49-10 (2013) What's This?

(A) A person who desires to change his name may petition, in writing, a family court judge in the appropriate circuit, setting forth the reason for the change, his age, his place of residence and birth, and the name by which he desires to be known.

(B) A parent who desires to change the name of his minor child may petition, in writing, a family court judge in the appropriate circuit. The other parent, if there is not one then the child, must be named as a party in the action unless waived by the court. The court shall appoint a guardian ad litem to represent the child. The court shall grant the petition if it finds that it is in the best interest of the child.

HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 48-51; 1952 Code Section 48-51; 1942 Code Section 8674; 1932 Code Section 8674; Civ. C. '22 Section 5573; Civ. C. '12 Section 3793; Civ. C. '02 Section 2699; G. S. 2067; R. S. 2199; 1814 (5) 718; 1962 (52) 1656; 1990 Act No. 344, Section 1.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.