2013 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 12 - Taxation
SECTION 12-20-100. License tax on utilities and electric cooperatives; tax based on value of property; additional tax based on gross receipts; payment; consolidated or combined return; minimum license fee.

SC Code § 12-20-100 (2013) What's This?

(A) In the place of the license fee imposed by Section 12-20-50, every express company, street railway company, navigation company, waterworks company, power company, electric cooperative, light company, gas company, telegraph company, and telephone company shall file an annual report with the department and pay a license fee as follows:

(1) one dollar for each thousand dollars, or fraction of a thousand dollars, of fair market value of property owned and used within this State in the conduct of business as determined by the department for property tax purposes for the preceding taxable year; and

(2)(a) three dollars for each thousand dollars, or fraction of a thousand dollars, of gross receipts derived from services rendered from regulated business within this State during the preceding taxable year, except that with regard to electric cooperatives, only distribution electric cooperatives are subject to the gross receipts portion of the license fee under this subitem (2)(a).

(b) When a consolidated return is filed pursuant to Section 12-6-5020, the phrase "the gross receipts derived from services rendered from regulated business" does not include gross receipts arising from transactions between the separate members of the return group.

(B) The minimum license fee under this section is the same as provided in Section 12-20-50(A). When a combined return is filed, the minimum license fee applies to each corporation in the combined group.

HISTORY: 1995 Act No. 76, Section 3.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.