2012 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 56 - Motor Vehicles
Chapter 5 - UNIFORM ACT REGULATING TRAFFIC ON HIGHWAYS
Section 56-5-4440 - Image display devices.
(A) As used in this section, "image display device" means equipment capable of displaying to the driver of a motor vehicle:
(1) a broadcast television image; or
(2) a visual image, other than text, from a digital video disc or other storage device.
(B) Except as provided in subsection (E) of this section, no person shall drive a motor vehicle equipped with any image display device which is located in the motor vehicle at any point forward of the back of the driver's seat, or which is visible, directly or indirectly, to the driver while operating the motor vehicle.
(C) Except as provided in subsection (E) of this section, no person may install in a motor vehicle an image display device intended to be visible to a driver in the normal driving position when the vehicle is in motion and when restrained by the vehicle seat belts adjusted in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations.
(D) A person violating the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than one hundred dollars or be imprisoned for not more than thirty days.
(E) Subsections (B) and (C) of this section do not apply to the following:
(1) emergency vehicles;
(2) image display devices that are displaying images that provide the driver with navigation and related traffic, road, and weather information;
(3) image display devices providing vehicle information or information related to the driving task;
(4) image display devices used to enhance or supplement the driver's view forward, behind, or to the sides of the motor vehicle;
(5) image display devices that permit the driver to monitor vehicle occupants seated rearward of the driver;
(6) image display devices that do not display images to the driver while the vehicle is in motion; or
(7) any use of an image display device while a vehicle is parked.
HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 46-514; 1965 (54) 323; 2008 Act No. 285, Section 3, eff June 11, 2008.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.