2012 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 56 - Motor Vehicles
Chapter 3 - MOTOR VEHICLE REGISTRATION AND LICENSING
Section 56-3-240 - Contents of application.
Every such application shall contain:
(1) The name, bona fide residence and mail address of the owner or business address of the owner if a firm, association or corporation and the county, municipality, if applicable, and school district in which the applicant resides;
(2) A description of the vehicle including insofar as such data may exist with respect to a given vehicle, the make, model, type of body, number of cylinders, serial number and engine or other number of the vehicle, whether the vehicle is new or used and the date of sale by the manufacturer or dealer to the person intending to operate such a vehicle and, in the event a vehicle is designed, constructed, converted or rebuilt for the transportation of property, a statement of the load capacity for which it is to be registered;
(3) Such further information as may reasonably be required by the Department of Motor Vehicles to enable it to determine whether the vehicle is lawfully entitled to registration and licensing;
(4) In addition to the information required by item (2), whenever the application is for a motor vehicle which has been transferred from a previous registrant to the applicant, the applicant will complete the odometer disclosure statement on the application which shall be in compliance with federal guidelines and as prescribed by the department.
(5) In addition to other registration requirements the department shall collect a federal employer identification number or social security number when a vehicle is registered with a gross vehicle weight of more than twenty-six thousand pounds or as a bus common carrier.
Additionally, for a commercial motor vehicle with a gross weight of more than twenty-six thousand pounds that operates with an apportioned license plate, the department must be provided:
(a) the United States Department of Transportation Number of the registrant and motor carrier; and
(b) a completed MCS-150 form from the registrant.
HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 46-17; 1952 Code Section 46-17; 1949 (46) 342; 1979 Act No. 153 Section 1; 1980 Act No. 385, Section 2; 1996 Act No. 459, Section 130; 2000 Act No; 399, Section 3(V); 2002 Act No. 301, Section 1.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.