2012 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 56 - Motor Vehicles
Section 56-3-215 - Temporary permits authorized for out-of-state registered farm trucks harvesting and transporting seasonal crops in state.

SC Code § 56-3-215 (2012) What's This?

The Department of Motor Vehicles shall be authorized to issue special permits to owners of farm trucks registered and licensed in another state which special permits shall authorize the operation of such trucks in this State for a period of forty-five days without the requirement that such trucks be registered and licensed in this State.

Trucks eligible for these special permits shall be those which are brought into this State on a short-term temporary basis for the sole purpose of harvesting and transporting seasonal crops to other locations both within and without South Carolina. The Department in its sole discretion shall determine what farm trucks qualify for these special permits and may require such proof as it deems necessary of the usage of trucks to which special permits shall apply.

The Department shall prescribe the form of such permit (including the permit application) and shall be displayed or kept in the truck at all times during the exemption period. The Department shall not issue a special permit to any owner unless he first furnishes evidence of motor vehicle liability insurance in at least the minimum amounts required by law in South Carolina. The fee for each permit shall be one-tenth of the annual fee required for trucks of the same weight. Only one permit for a particular truck shall be issued in any one calendar year.

The Department shall promulgate such regulations as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this section.

HISTORY: 1981 Act No. 177 Section 14.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.