2012 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 56 - Motor Vehicles
Chapter 3 - MOTOR VEHICLE REGISTRATION AND LICENSING
Section 56-3-120 - Exemptions from registration and licensing requirement.
The following vehicles are exempt from registration and licensing under this chapter:
(1) a vehicle driven, operated, or moved upon a highway pursuant to the provisions of this chapter relating to nonresidents or under temporary permits issued by the department as authorized;
(2) any implement of husbandry, including a knuckleboom loader mounted on a trailer or straight truck, whether of a type otherwise subject to registration and license which only incidentally is operated or moved upon a highway;
(3) a special mobile equipment vehicle which only occasionally is moved over a highway and special mobile equipment vehicle of the State or its departments, agencies, or political subdivisions;
(4) a vehicle owned and operated by the government of the United States; and
(5) a trailer or semitrailer of a motor carrier as defined in Section 12-37-2810 for which the fee-in-lieu of taxes and registration requirements has been paid and a distinctive permanent plate has been issued pursuant to Section 12-37-2860.
(6) firefighting vehicles that are publicly owned by the state or a county, municipality, or special purpose district as follows:
(a) motorized firefighting vehicles that carry a pump or water tank in excess of three hundred gallons;
(b) motorized firefighting vehicles containing a hydraulically operated ladder; and
(c) specialized support vehicles that specifically transport equipment utilized for rescue operations, hazardous materials response, wildfire emergencies, breathing air refill support, and incident command.
HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 46-12; 1952 Code Section 46-12; 1949 (46) 342; 1996 Act No. 425, Section 2; 1997 Act No. 125, Section 1I; 2000 Act No. 375, Section 4; 2002 Act No. 348, Section 6.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.