2012 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 27 - Property and Conveyances
Chapter 33 - LANDLORD AND TENANT GENERALLY
Section 27-33-10 - Definitions.
(1) Domestic servant. --A person using or occupying real estate while serving another as a domestic servant shall be deemed a "domestic servant";
(2) Farm laborer. --A person using or occupying real estate while working either as a sharecropper or otherwise as a farm laborer shall be deemed a "farm laborer";
(3) Tenant at will. --Every person other than the owner of real estate, excepting a domestic servant and farm laborer, using or occupying real estate without an agreement, either oral or in writing, shall be deemed a "tenant at will";
(4) Tenant for a term. --A person other than the owner using or occupying real estate under a written or oral agreement shall be deemed a "tenant for a term";
(5) Tenant for years. --A person other than the owner using or occupying real estate under a written agreement for a term of one year or more shall be deemed a "tenant for years";
(6) Agricultural renter. --A person renting lands for agricultural purposes shall be deemed an "agricultural renter";
(7) Landlord.--"Landlord" shall be construed to include the owner or person in possession or entitled to possession of the real estate used or occupied by the tenant as well as the employer of farm laborers and domestic servants; and
(8) Tenant.--"Tenant" shall be construed to mean tenant at will, tenant for a term, tenant for years, domestic servant, farm laborer, sharecropper and agricultural renter.
HISTORY: 1962 Code Section 41-1; 1952 Code Section 41-1; 1946 (44) 2584.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.