2012 South Carolina Code of Laws
ARTICLE 1 GENERAL PROVISIONS
Title 20 - Domestic Relations
Chapter 1 - MARRIAGE
- Section 20-1-10 - Persons who may contract matrimony.
- Section 20-1-15 - Prohibition of same sex marriage.
- Section 20-1-20 - Persons who may perform marriage ceremony.
- Section 20-1-30 - Cohabitation prior to emancipation as marriage.
- Section 20-1-40 - Cohabitation prior to emancipation as marriage; children.
- Section 20-1-50 - Legitimacy of children of marriages contracted after absence of previous spouse.
- Section 20-1-60 - Marriage of parents legitimates illegitimate children.
- Section 20-1-70 - Name of children legitimized after marriage of parents.
- Section 20-1-80 - Bigamous marriage shall be void; exceptions.
- Section 20-1-90 - Legitimacy of children when either party to bigamous marriage marries in good faith.
- Section 20-1-100 - Minimum ages for valid marriage.
- Section 20-1-210 - License required for marriage.
- Section 20-1-230 - Issuance of license; premarital preparation course.
- Section 20-1-240 - Information to be provided to applicants for marriage licenses.
- Section 20-1-250 - Applicants under age of consent; consent of relative or guardian.
- Section 20-1-260 - Proof of age required of minor applicant.
- Section 20-1-270 - Proof of age required of applicant over age eighteen and under age twenty-five.
- Section 20-1-280 - Penalty for furnishing false affidavit.
- Section 20-1-290 - Wilful failure of license-issuing officer to comply with Sections 20-1-250, 20-1-260 and 20-1-270 as cause for removal.
- Section 20-1-300 - Issuance of license to unmarried female and male under eighteen years of age when female is pregnant or has borne a child.
- Section 20-1-310 - Form of license and certificate.
- Section 20-1-320 - Division of vital statistics shall distribute license forms.
- Section 20-1-330 - Issue of licenses in triplicate; disposition.
- Section 20-1-340 - Record of license and certificate kept by probate judge or clerk of court.
- Section 20-1-350 - Filing of license and certificate and issuance of certified copies thereof by Department of Health and Environmental Control.
- Section 20-1-360 - Effect of article on marriage without license.
- Section 20-1-375 - Marriage license fee.
- Section 20-1-380 - Disposition of fines.
- Section 20-1-510 - Jurisdiction to determine validity of marriage.
- Section 20-1-520 - Affirmation of marriage if validity has been denied or doubted.
- Section 20-1-530 - Declaration of invalidity.
- Section 20-1-540 - Adjudication of presumed death.
- Section 20-1-550 - Service on defendant in action to annul marriage.
- Section 20-1-560 - Service on persons in military or naval services overseas in action to annul marriage.
- Section 20-1-570 - Establishment of official record of marriages.
- Section 20-1-580 - Effect of establishment of official record of marriage and record thereof.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.