2012 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 15 - Civil Remedies and Procedures
Chapter 78 - SOUTH CAROLINA TORT CLAIMS ACT
- Section 15-78-10 - Short title.
- Section 15-78-20 - Legislative findings; declaration of public policy; extent of, and construction of, waiver of immunity.
- Section 15-78-30 - Definitions.
- Section 15-78-40 - Tort liability of State, agency, political subdivision, or governmental entity, generally.
- Section 15-78-50 - Right of injured person to file claim; non-liability of governmental entity where employee would not be liable if a private person; injunctions against governmental entities.
- Section 15-78-60 - Exceptions to waiver of immunity.
- Section 15-78-70 - Liability for act of government employee; requirement that agency or political subdivision be named party defendant; effect of judgment or settlement.
- Section 15-78-80 - Filing of verified claim; handling and disposition of claims; requirement that agencies and political subdivisions cooperate with Budget and Control Board.
- Section 15-78-90 - Settlement of claims and actions; institution of action where claim has or has not been filed.
- Section 15-78-100 - When and where to institute action; requirement of special verdict specifying proportionate liability of multiple defendants.
- Section 15-78-110 - Statute of limitations.
- Section 15-78-120 - Limitation on liability; prohibition against recovery of punitive or exemplary damages or prejudgment interest; signature of attorney on pleadings, motions, or other papers.
- Section 15-78-130 - Defense of political subdivision which has not purchased insurance through Budget and Control Board.
- Section 15-78-140 - Procurement of insurance by political subdivisions; exclusivity of remedies provided in this chapter.
- Section 15-78-150 - Authority of Budget and Control Board to purchase liability insurance; funding of purchase by participating governmental entities; premiums set according to risk; development of actuarial rating system plan.
- Section 15-78-160 - Nonliability of Budget and Control Board where lack of insurance coverage results from agency's or political subdivision's failure to pay premium.
- Section 15-78-170 - Action or claim for death of person; division of recovery.
- Section 15-78-180 - Applicability of chapter to causes of action arising before or after July 1, 1986.
- Section 15-78-190 - Compensation of plaintiff pursuant to underinsured or uninsured defendant provisions of plaintiff's insurance policy.
- Section 15-78-200 - Exclusive and sole remedy for torts committed by employee of governmental entity while acting within scope of employee's official duty.
- Section 15-78-210 - Rights and privileges preserved.
- Section 15-78-220 - Rights and privileges not affected.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. South Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.