2017 Rhode Island General Laws
Title 42 - State Affairs and Government
Chapter 42-13.1 - The Rhode Island Bridge Replacement, Reconstruction, and Maintenance Fund
Section 42-13.1-3 - Definitions.
§ 42-13.1-3. Definitions.
As used in this chapter, the following words and terms shall have the following meanings, unless the context shall indicate another or different meaning:
(1) "Availability payment" means a payment by the department under a contract for a toll facility or any other facility that is based on the availability of the facility at a specified performance level and may include, without limitation, compensation for operations, maintenance, and financing of the facility.
(2) "Department" means the department of transportation, or, if the department shall be abolished, the board, body, or commission succeeding to the principal functions thereof or upon whom the powers given by chapter 5 of title 37 to the department shall be given by law.
(3) "Large commercial truck" shall be defined pursuant to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) vehicle classification schedule as any vehicle within Class 8 - single trailer, three (3) or four (4) axles, up to and including Class 13 - seven (7) or more axle multi-trailer trucks, as such classifications may be revised from time to time by the FHWA.
(4) "Other vehicle" means any vehicle that has not been defined pursuant to this chapter as a large commercial truck.
(5) "Passenger vehicle" shall be defined pursuant to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) vehicle classification schedule as any vehicle within Class 1, 2, and 3 as such classifications may be revised from time to time by the FHWA.
(6) "Radio frequency identification transponder" or "RFID" means a toll collection system approved by the department that may consist of a toll tag placed inside the vehicle and an overhead antenna that reads the toll tag and collects the toll.
(7) "Toll evader" means, for the purposes of this chapter, any registered owner of any large commercial truck that passes through any electronic tolling location as authorized pursuant to § 42-13.1-4 and who does not pay the required toll and/or fees, fines, or penalties within the maximum allowable period specified under § 42-13.1-11.
(8) "Toll facility" means equipment or capital improvements funded in whole or in part by toll revenue, or required to effectuate toll collection.
(9) "Turnpike and bridge authority" means the Rhode Island turnpike and bridge authority (RITBA), a public instrumentality of the state of Rhode Island, created by the general assembly pursuant to chapter 12 of title 24.
History of Section.
(P.L. 2016, ch. 3, § 2; P.L. 2016, ch. 4, § 2.)