2017 Rhode Island General Laws
Title 42 - State Affairs and Government
Chapter 42-13.1 - The Rhode Island Bridge Replacement, Reconstruction, and Maintenance Fund
Section 42-13.1-15 - Bridge preservation and salt mitigation.
§ 42-13.1-15. Bridge preservation and salt mitigation.
(a) In any fiscal year when the department fails to complete appropriate bridge maintenance, no new construction and design contracts subject to reporting under § 42-13.1-16 shall be awarded for the subsequent year or until proof of appropriate bridge maintenance is provided.
(b) The director must submit detailed information regarding bridge maintenance activities undertaken during the fiscal year to the governor, office of management and budget, the speaker of the house, and the president of the senate no later than thirty (30) days after the fiscal year ends, beginning with fiscal year 2017. The information shall also be posted on the department's website.
(c) Notwithstanding the provisions of § 42-13.1-16, bridge maintenance requirements may be waived if the director certifies that:
(1) Certain bridges are in a state of disrepair such that maintenance activities will not forestall further deterioration; or
(2) Certain bridges have a maintenance plan that does not require any activities during any given calendar year; or
(3) Certain bridges have been modified such that maintenance to prevent salt erosion and deterioration is no longer required; or
(4) The department has not used salt on certain bridges or has stopped using salt for winter maintenance as a long-term change in practice; or
(5) Other specific circumstances exist to eliminate the need for maintenance activities in any given calendar year.
(d) Failure to comply is subject to the penalties contained in § 35-3-24.
History of Section.
(P.L. 2016, ch. 3, § 2; P.L. 2016, ch. 4, § 2.)