2017 Rhode Island General Laws
Title 4 - Animals and Animal Husbandry
Chapter 4-1 - Cruelty to Animals
Section 4-1-13 - Forfeiture of fighting birds or animals.

Universal Citation: RI Gen L § 4-1-13 (2017)

§ 4-1-13. Forfeiture of fighting birds or animals.

After the seizure of any birds or animals as provided in § 4-1-12, application shall be made to a district court or the superior court for a sentence of forfeiture of the birds or animals; and if, upon the hearing of the application, it is found that the birds or animals, at the time of their seizure, were engaged in fighting at an exhibition or were owned, possessed, or kept by any person with the intent that they should be engaged in fighting at an exhibition, sentence of forfeiture shall be pronounced against them. Any officer authorized to serve criminal process shall sell them in any manner that the court orders, and pay the proceeds of that sale, after the payment of costs, including costs of seizure and keeping of those birds or animals, to the general treasurer for the use of the state. Whenever a seizure and application for sentence of forfeiture is made by or results from the complaint or information of any officer or agent of the society for the prevention of cruelty to animals, the proceeds of that sale shall be paid over to the society. Should it be found that any seized birds or animals are of no use or value, they shall be set at large, or otherwise disposed of, as the court may direct. The claimant is allowed to appear in the proceedings upon any application for a sentence of forfeiture. All seized birds or animals not sentenced for forfeiture shall be delivered to the owner.

History of Section.
(G.L. 1896, ch. 114, § 12; C.P.A. 1905, § 1216; G.L. 1909, ch. 138, § 12; G.L. 1923, ch. 141, § 12; G.L. 1938, ch. 640, § 12; G.L. 1956, § 4-1-13.)

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Rhode Island may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.