2017 Rhode Island General Laws
Title 23 - Health and Safety
Chapter 23-20.9 - Smoking in Schools
Section 23-20.9-4.1 - Definitions. [Effective January 1, 2018.].
§ 23-20.9-4. Definitions. [Effective January 1, 2018.].
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Electronic nicotine-delivery system usage" means any vaping, inhaling, or use of any device defined in § 11-9-13.4.
(2) "Governing body" means the body, board, committee or individual, or its designated agent(s) or designee(s), responsible for, or who or that has control over, the administration of any elementary or secondary school, public or private, in the state.
(3) "Person" means any person or persons including but not limited to contract or other workers on school property, school students, school administrators, school employees, school faculty, and school visitors.
(4) "School or schools" means any non-residential school building, public or private, of any city or town or community educational system regulated, directly or secondarily, by the council on elementary and secondary education or the department of elementary and secondary education or any other state education board or local city or town school board or school committee or other legal educational subdivision acting under it. As used in this chapter, the term "school or schools" includes, but is not limited to: school playgrounds; school administration buildings; indoor school athletic facilities; school gymnasiums; school locker rooms; school buses; other school vehicles; other school buildings whose use is not primarily residential; and outside areas within twenty-five feet (25') of any school building.
(5) "Tobacco product usage" means the smoking or use of any substance or item that contains tobacco, including, but not limited to: cigarettes, cigars, pipes, or other smoking tobacco, or the use of snuff or smokeless tobacco, or having in one's possession a lighted cigarette, cigar, pipe, or other substance or item containing tobacco.
History of Section.
(P.L. 1992, ch. 230, § 1; P.L. 2017, ch. 409, § 3; P.L. 2017, ch. 426, § 3.)