2017 Rhode Island General Laws
Title 23 - Health and Safety
Chapter 23-18 - Cemeteries
Section 23-18-1 - Definitions.
§ 23-18-1. Definitions.
The following terms used in this chapter, unless the context indicates otherwise, have the following meanings:
(1) "Agencies" mean town cemeteries, religious or ecclesiastical society cemeteries, cemetery associations, or any person, firm, corporation, or unincorporated association previously or hereafter engaged in the business of conducting a cemetery or operating a community mausoleum or columbarium.
(2) "Columbarium" means a structure or room, or other space in a building or structure of durable or lasting fireproof construction, containing niches, used, or intended to be used, to contain cremated human remains.
(3) "Community mausoleum" means a structure or building of durable or lasting construction, used or intended to be used, for the permanent disposition in crypts or spaces therein of the remains of deceased persons, provided the crypts or spaces and their use are available to or may be obtained by individuals for a price in money or other form of security.
(4) "Crypt" means the chamber in a mausoleum of sufficient size to contain the remains of a deceased person.
(5) "Historic cemetery" means any tract of land which has been for more than one hundred (100) years used as a burial place, whether or not marked with an historic marker, including but not limited to, ancient burial places known or suspected to contain the remains of one or more American Indians.
(6) "Niche" means a recess in a columbarium or other structure, used, or intended to be used, for the permanent disposition of the cremated remains of one or more deceased persons.
History of Section.
(P.L. 1939, ch. 721, § 1; G.L. 1956, § 23-18-1; P.L. 1992, ch. 478, § 1.)