2013 Rhode Island General Laws
Title 31 - Motor and Other vehicles
Chapter 31-10.1 - Special License for Motorcycles, Motor Scooters, and Other Motor Driven Cycles
Section 31-10.1-1 - License required.

RI Gen L § 31-10.1-1 (2013) What's This?

§ 31-10.1-1 License required. – No resident of this state, except those expressly exempted in this chapter, shall drive any motorcycle or motor-driven cycle upon a highway in this state, unless the person shall first obtain a special license as an operator under the provisions of this chapter; provided, however, motorized bicycles and motor scooters with a motor rated not more than four and nine-tenths (4.9) horsepower and not greater than fifty (50) cubic centimeters, which is capable of a maximum speed of not more than thirty (30) miles per hour, shall be exempt from the provisions of this section. No person shall be licensed pursuant to this chapter unless he or she shall be at least sixteen (16) years of age or unless the person previously has been issued a full operator's license and a motorcycle learner's permit or is already licensed under a prior act of this state. Any person under the age of eighteen (18) duly licensed under the prior act shall be eligible to have his or her license renewed in the same manner as persons over the age of eighteen (18). All licenses issued pursuant to this chapter shall reflect any requirement of the operator to wear a helmet pursuant to § 31-10.1-4.

History of Section.
(P.L. 1967, ch. 27, § 1; P.L. 1992, ch. 324, § 15; P.L. 1992, ch. 364, § 1; P.L. 1998, ch. 371, § 3; P.L. 1998, ch. 386, § 3; P.L. 2006, ch. 11, § 2; P.L. 2006, ch. 12, § 2.)

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Rhode Island may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.