2009 Rhode Island Code
Title 45 - Towns and cities
CHAPTER 45-54 - Municipal Detention Facility Corporations
§ 45-54-3 - Definitions.
§ 45-54-3 Definitions. As used in this chapter, the following words and terms have the following meanings, unless the context indicates another or different meaning or intent:
(1) "Bonds" means any bonds, interim certificates, notes, debentures, or other evidences of indebtedness of the corporation issued pursuant to this chapter;
(2) "Construction" means and includes acquisitions, construction, repair, rehabilitation, development, and installation, and the term "to construct" means and includes, to acquire, to construct, to repair, to rehabilitate, to develop, and to install, all in a manner as may be deemed desirable;
(3) "Corporation" means the municipal detention facility corporation created under this chapter;
(4) "Cost", as applied to any project to be constructed or acquired by the corporation, includes: the cost of acquisition or construction and, if the project consists of public facilities, the cost of acquisition of all land, rights-of-way, property, rights, easements, and interests acquired by the corporation for the construction; the cost of demolishing or removing any buildings or structures on land so acquired, including the cost of acquiring any lands to which the buildings or structures may be moved; the cost of all machinery and equipment; financing charges; interest prior to and during construction and for one year after completion of construction; the cost of estimates and planning, engineering and legal services, plans, specifications, and surveys; estimates of costs and of revenues; other expenses necessary or incident to determining the feasibility or practicability of the construction; administrative expenses; and other expenses as may be necessary or incident to the construction, the financing of the construction, and the placing of the project in operation.
(ii) The word "cost", as applied to any project which the corporation may be authorized to acquire, means the amount of the purchase price of any public equipment or, if the project consists of public facilities, the amount of any condemnation award in connection with the acquisition of the project, and includes: the cost of acquiring all of the capital stock of the corporation owning the project, if that is the case, and the amount to be paid to discharge all of the obligations of the corporation in order to vest title to the project, which may be determined by the corporation to be necessary prior to the financing of the project; interest during the period of construction of the improvements and for one year thereafter; the cost of all lands, properties, rights, easements, franchises, and permits acquired; the cost of planning, engineering and legal services, plans, specifications, and surveys; estimates of cost and of revenues; other expenses necessary or incident to determining the feasibility or practicability of the acquisition or improvement; administrative expenses; and other expense as may be necessary or incident to the financing of the acquisition or improvement and the placing of project in operation by the corporation.
(iii) The word "cost" includes the cost of purchase and installation of solar, wind, and renewable energy systems, which include solar thermal, solar, electric, and wind energy systems that provide heating, cooling, hot water, or electricity to a building, together with equipment for collection, storage, distribution, and control, including components of a building specifically designed to retain heat derived from solar energy;
(5) "Council" means the city or town council of a municipality;
(6) "Detention facility" means land, buildings, or improvements used for the purposes of detaining prisoners in accordance with the provisions of this chapter;
(7) "Director" means one of the members of the corporation appointed in accordance with the provisions of this chapter;
(8) "Federal agency" means and includes the United States of America, and any department of, or any corporation, agency, or instrumentality created, designated, or established by, the United States of America;
(9) "Improvement" means and includes extension, enlargement, and improvement, and the term "to improve" means and includes, to extend, to enlarge, and to improve, all in a manner as may be deemed desirable;
(10) "Municipality" means and includes any city or town within the state now existing or hereafter created;
(11) "Owner" means and includes all individuals, incorporated companies, copartnerships, societies, or associations, and, also, all municipalities and political subdivisions, and all public agencies and instrumentalities, having any title or interest in any property, rights, easements, or franchises authorized to be acquired under the provisions of this chapter;
(12) "Persons" means and includes natural persons, firms, associations, corporations, business trusts, partnerships, and public bodies;
(13) "Project" means any detention facility or public equipment which the corporation is authorized to construct, improve, equip, furnish, maintain, acquire, install, or operate under the provisions of this chapter, and includes all real and personal property related to it;
(14) "Public equipment" means and includes all tangible personal property, new or used, including, without limiting the generality of the preceding, all machinery, equipment, transportation equipment, maintenance equipment, construction equipment, sanitation equipment, police, fire, and public safety equipment, and all other things and rights usually included within that term, including any and all interests in property which are less than full title, as leasehold interests, security interests, and every other interest or right, legal or equitable; provided, that the public equipment is related to and used in connection with a detention facility; and
(15) "State" means and includes the state of Rhode Island, and any office, department, board, commission, bureau, division, authority, public corporation, agency, or instrumentality of the state.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Rhode Island may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.