2009 Rhode Island Code
Title 44 - Taxation
CHAPTER 44-34.1 - Motor Vehicle and Trailer Excise Tax Elimination Act of 1998
§ 44-34.1-3 - Permanent oversight commission.
§ 44-34.1-3 Permanent oversight commission. (a) There is created a permanent oversight commission on inventory taxes and automobile excise taxes. The commission shall consist of the following members:
(1) Chairperson of house finance committee, or designee;
(2) Chairperson of senate finance committee, or designee;
(3) Chairperson of the Rhode Island vehicle value commission;
(4) Three (3) members of the Rhode Island Assessors Association;
(5) Director of department of revenue, or designee;
(6) Chief of the division of property valuation and municipal finance, or designee;
(7) The president of the Rhode Island League of Cities and Towns, or designee;
(8) The administrator of the Rhode Island division of motor vehicles, or designee;
(9) The mayor of the city of Providence, or designee.
(b) The purpose of the commission shall be to study and evaluate the phase-out of the automobile excise tax and to establish procedures when necessary to facilitate the phase-out of the tax by July 1, 2005.
(c) The commission, at its first meeting, shall elect a chairperson from its membership.
(d) The commission shall meet no less than two (2) times per year at the call of the chairperson or upon the request of at least three (3) of its members.
(e) The members shall receive no compensation for their services. All departments and agencies of the state shall furnish advice and information, documentary or otherwise, to the commission and its agents as is deemed necessary or desirable by the commission to facilitate the purposes of the commission.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Rhode Island may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.