2009 Rhode Island Code
Title 37 - Public Property and Works
CHAPTER 37-16 - Public Works Arbitration
§ 37-16-5 - Jurisdiction of superior court to enforce arbitration provision and awards.

SECTION 37-16-5

   § 37-16-5  Jurisdiction of superior court to enforce arbitration provision and awards. – The entering into a contract in writing providing for arbitration shall be deemed a consent of all parties, including those enumerated in § 37-16-2, thereto to the jurisdiction of the superior court of this state to enforce the arbitration provision and any award made pursuant to that provision. A party aggrieved by the failure, neglect, or refusal of another to perform under a contract providing for arbitration, may petition the superior court, or a judge thereof, for an order directing that arbitration proceed in the manner provided for in the contract. Five (5) days' notice in writing of the application shall be served upon the party in default. Service thereof shall be made in the manner specified in the contract, and if no manner specified therein, then in the manner provided by law for personal service of a summons, within or without the state, or substituted service of a summons, or upon satisfactory proof that the party aggrieved has been or will be unable with due diligence to make service in any of the foregoing manners, then notice shall be served in such manner as the court or judge may direct. A judge of the superior court shall hear the parties and upon being satisfied that there is no substantial issue as to the making of the contract or the failure to comply therewith, the court, or the judge thereof, hearing the application, shall make an order directing the parties to proceed to arbitration in accordance with the terms of the contract.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Rhode Island may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.