2009 Rhode Island Code
Title 28 - Labor and Labor Relations
CHAPTER 28-30 - Workers' Compensation Court
§ 28-30-24 - Domestic partner Definition.
§ 28-30-24 Domestic partner Definition. For purposes of this chapter, "domestic partner" shall be defined as a person who, prior to the decedent's death, was in an exclusive, intimate and committed relationship with the decedent, and who certifies by affidavit that their relationship met the following qualifications:
(1) Both partners were at least eighteen (18) years of age and were mentally competent to contract;
(2) Neither partner was married to anyone else;
(3) Partners were not related by blood to a degree which would prohibit marriage in the state of Rhode Island;
(4) Partners resided together and had resided together for at least one year at the time of death; and
(5) Partners were financially interdependent as evidenced by at least two (2) of the following:
(i) Domestic partnership agreement or relationship contract;
(ii) Joint mortgage or joint ownership of primary residence;
(iii) Two (2) of: (A) joint ownership of motor vehicle; (B) joint checking account; (C) joint credit account; (D) joint lease; and/or
(iv) The domestic partner had been designated as a beneficiary for the decedent's will, retirement contract or life insurance.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Rhode Island may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.