2009 Rhode Island Code
Title 21 - Food And Drugs
CHAPTER 21-14 - Shellfish Packing Houses
§ 21-14-1 - Definitions.
§ 21-14-1 Definitions. Unless otherwise specifically provided, the following definitions apply to this chapter:
(1) "Approved" means approved by the director.
(2) "Department" means the department of health.
(3) "Director" means the director of health or the director's duly appointed agents.
(4) "Person" means any individual, firm, partnership, association, or private or municipal corporation.
(5) "Polluted area" means and includes any shellfish grounds underlying waters which have been examined and found to be unfit for the production of shellfish for human consumption.
(6) "Processing" means and includes cleansing, mixing, opening, or packing shellfish which are to be offered for sale or sold.
(7) "Shellfish" means and includes oysters, mussels, and all varieties of clams.
(8) "Shellfish business" means and includes one of the following: processing, labeling, storing except in commercial warehouses, or transporting except by common carrier shellfish which are to be offered for sale or sold.
(9) "Shellfish grounds" means and includes all lands underlying waters within the rise and fall of the tide and the marine limits of the jurisdiction of the state.
(10) "Taking" means and includes gathering, digging, raking, tonging, or dredging of shellfish.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Rhode Island may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.