2005 Rhode Island Code - § 33-21.1-18 — Notice and publication of lists of abandoned property.

    (a) The administrator shall cause a notice to be published not later than March 1 at least once a week for two (2) consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation in the county of this state in which is located the last known address of any person to be named in the notice. If no address is listed or the address is outside this state, the notice must be published in the county in which the holder of the property has its principal place of business within this state.

   (b) The published notice must be entitled "Notice of Names of Persons Appearing to be Owners of Abandoned Property" and contain:

   (1) The names in alphabetical order and last known address, if any, of persons listed in the report and entitled to notice within the county as specified in subsection (a) of this section;

   (2) A statement that information concerning the property and the name and last known address of the holder may be obtained by any person possessing an interest in the property by addressing an inquiry to the administrator; and

   (3) A statement that if proof of claim is not presented by the owner to the holder and the owner's right to receive the property is not established to the holder's satisfaction the property will be placed in the custody of the administrator and all further claims must thereafter be directed to the administrator.

   (c) The administrator is not required to publish in the notice any items of less than fifty dollars ($50.00) unless the administrator considers their publication to be in the public interest.

   (d) This section is not applicable to sums payable on travelers checks, money orders, and other written instruments presumed abandoned under § 33-21.1-4.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Rhode Island may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.