2021 Pennsylvania Consolidated & Unconsolidated Statutes
Title 20 - DECEDENTS, ESTATES AND FIDUCIARIES
Chapter 21 - Intestate Succession
Section 2102 - Share of surviving spouse
The intestate share of a decedent's surviving spouse is:
(1) If there is no surviving issue or parent of the decedent, the entire intestate estate.
(2) If there is no surviving issue of the decedent but he is survived by a parent or parents, the first $30,000 plus one-half of the balance of the intestate estate. Notwithstanding the foregoing, in the case of a decedent who died as a result of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, a surviving spouse shall be entitled to 100% of any compensation award paid pursuant to the Air Transportation Safety and System Stabilization Act (Public Law 107-42, 115 Stat. 230).
(3) If there are surviving issue of the decedent all of whom are issue of the surviving spouse also, the first $30,000 plus one-half of the balance of the intestate estate.
(4) If there are surviving issue of the decedent one or more of whom are not issue of the surviving spouse, one-half of the intestate estate.
(5) In case of partial intestacy any property received by the surviving spouse under the will shall satisfy pro tanto the $30,000 allowance under paragraphs (2) and (3).
(Apr. 18, 1978, P.L.42, No.23, eff. 60 days; July 11, 1980, P.L.565, No.118, eff. 60 days; Oct. 3, 2003, P.L.175, No.26, eff. imd.)