2020 Pennsylvania Consolidated & Unconsolidated Statutes
Title 75 - VEHICLES
Chapter 15 - Licensing of Drivers
Section 1502 - Persons exempt from licensing
The following persons are not required to obtain a driver's license under this chapter:
(1) Any employee of the Federal Government while operating a motor vehicle owned by or leased to the Federal Government and being operated on official business unless the employee is required by the Federal Government or any agency thereof to have a state driver's license. This exemption shall not apply to the operation of commercial motor vehicles, as defined in Chapter 16 (relating to commercial drivers).
(2) Any person in the service of the armed forces of the United States, including the reserve components, when furnished with a valid military driver's license and operating an official vehicle on official business.
(3) Any nonresident who is at least 16 years of age and who has in possession a valid driver's license issued in the person's home state or country except that a person who has been issued a valid driver's license in a country other than the United States or Canada shall be exempt only upon showing a satisfactory understanding of official traffic-control devices. A nonresident may only drive the class or classes of vehicles in this Commonwealth for which the person is licensed to drive in the person's home state or country subject to all restrictions contained on the license.
(4) Any person on active duty in the armed forces of the United States who has in their immediate possession a valid driver's license issued in a foreign country by the armed forces of the United States may operate a motor vehicle in this Commonwealth for a period of not more than 45 days from the date of the person's return to the United States.
(5) Any person 14 years of age or older operating an implement of husbandry. Persons 14 or 15 years of age are restricted to the operation of implements of husbandry on one and two lane highways which bisect or immediately adjoin the premises upon which such person resides.
(May 30, 1990, P.L.173, No.42, eff. Nov. 1, 1990)
1990 Amendment. Act 42 amended par. (1).