2019 Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes
Title 75 - VEHICLES
Chapter 37 - Miscellaneous Provisions
Section 3751 - Reports by police
(a) General rule.--Every police department that investigates a vehicle accident for which a report must be made as required in this subchapter and prepares a written report as a result of an investigation either at the time and at the scene of the accident or thereafter by interviewing the participants or witnesses shall, within 15 days of the accident, forward an initial written report of the accident to the department. If the initial report is not complete, a supplemental report shall be submitted at a later date.
(b) Furnishing copies of report.--
(1) Police departments shall, upon request, furnish a certified copy of the full report of the police investigation of any vehicle accident to any person involved in the accident, his attorney or insurer, and to the Federal Government, branches of the military service, Commonwealth agencies, and to officials of political subdivisions and to agencies of other states and nations and their political subdivisions.
(2) Except as provided in paragraph (3), the cost of furnishing a copy of a report under this subsection shall not exceed $15.
(3) In a city of the first class, the cost of furnishing a copy of a report under this subsection shall not exceed $25.
(4) The copy of the report shall not be admissible as evidence in any action for damages or criminal proceedings arising out of a motor vehicle accident.
(5) Police departments may refuse to furnish the complete copy of investigation of the vehicle accident whenever there are criminal charges pending against any persons involved in the vehicle accident unless the Pennsylvania Rules of Criminal Procedure require the production of the documents.
(June 11, 1992, P.L.266, No.47, eff. 60 days; May 20, 1993, P.L.30, No.10, eff. 60 days; Nov. 30, 2004, P.L.1667, No.211, eff. 60 days)
2004 Amendment. Act 211 amended subsec. (b).
1993 Amendment. Act 10 overlooked the amendment to subsec. (a) by Act 47 of 1992, but the amendments do not conflict in substance and have both been given effect in setting forth the text of subsec. (a).
Cross References. Section 3751 is referred to in sections 1535, 3745.1 of this title; section 1392 of Title 53 (Municipalities Generally).