2019 Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes
Title 42 - JUDICIARY AND JUDICIAL PROCEDURE
Chapter 55 - Limitation of Time
Section 5524 - Two year limitation
The following actions and proceedings must be commenced within two years:
(1) An action for assault, battery, false imprisonment, false arrest, malicious prosecution or malicious abuse of process.
(2) An action to recover damages for injuries to the person or for the death of an individual caused by the wrongful act or neglect or unlawful violence or negligence of another.
(3) An action for taking, detaining or injuring personal property, including actions for specific recovery thereof.
(4) An action for waste or trespass of real property.
(5) An action upon a statute for a civil penalty or forfeiture.
(6) An action against any officer of any government unit for the nonpayment of money or the nondelivery of property collected upon on execution or otherwise in his possession.
(7) Any other action or proceeding to recover damages for injury to person or property which is founded on negligent, intentional, or otherwise tortious conduct or any other action or proceeding sounding in trespass, including deceit or fraud, except an action or proceeding subject to another limitation specified in this subchapter.
(8) An action to recover damages for injury to a person or for the death of a person caused by exposure to asbestos shall be commenced within two years from the date on which the person is informed by a licensed physician that the person has been injured by such exposure or upon the date on which the person knew or in the exercise of reasonable diligence should have known that the person had an injury which was caused by such exposure, whichever date occurs first.
(Dec. 20, 1982, P.L.1409, No.326, eff. 60 days; Dec. 17, 2001, P.L.904, No.101, eff. 60 days; Nov. 24, 2004, P.L.1243, No.152, eff. imd.)
2013 Unconstitutionality. Act 152 of 2004 was declared unconstitutional. Commonwealth v. Neiman, 84 A.3d 603 (Pa. 2013). The unconstitutionality took effect March 17, 2014.
Cross References. Section 5524 is referred to in section 1553 of Title 15 (Corporations and Unincorporated Associations).