2019 Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes
Chapter 19 - Fundamental Changes
Section 1903 - Bankruptcy or insolvency proceedings

Universal Citation: 15 PA Cons Stat § 1903 (2019)
§ 1903. Bankruptcy or insolvency proceedings.

(a) General rule.--Whenever a business corporation is insolvent or in financial difficulty, the board of directors may, by resolution and without the consent of the shareholders, authorize and designate the officers of the corporation to execute a deed of assignment for the benefit of creditors, or file a voluntary petition in bankruptcy, or file an answer consenting to the appointment of a receiver upon a complaint in the nature of an equity action filed by creditors or shareholders, or file an answer to an involuntary petition in bankruptcy admitting the willingness of the corporation to have relief ordered against it.

(b) Bankruptcy proceedings.--A business corporation may participate in a case and proceedings under and in the manner provided by the Bankruptcy Code (11 U.S.C. § 101 et seq.) notwithstanding any contrary provision of its articles or bylaws or this subpart, other than section 103 (relating to subordination of title to regulatory laws). The corporation shall have full power and authority to put into effect and carry out a plan of reorganization and the decrees and orders of the court or judge, and may take any proceeding and do any act provided in the plan or directed by such decrees and orders, without further action by its directors or shareholders. Such power and authority may be exercised, and such proceedings and acts may be taken, as may be directed by such plan or decrees or orders, by designated officers of the corporation or by a trustee appointed by the court or judge, with the effect as if exercised and taken by unanimous action of the directors and shareholders of the corporation. Without limiting the generality or effect of the foregoing, the corporation may:

(1) alter, amend or repeal its bylaws;

(2) constitute or reconstitute and classify or reclassify its board of directors and name, constitute or appoint directors and officers in place of or in addition to all or some of the directors or officers then in office;

(3) amend its articles of incorporation, including, without limitation, for the purpose of:

(i) canceling or modifying the relative rights or preferences of any or all authorized classes or series of shares, whether or not any shares thereof are outstanding;

(ii) providing that any of Subchapter E (relating to control transactions), F (relating to business combinations), G (relating to control-share acquisitions) or H (relating to disgorgement by certain controlling shareholders following attempts to acquire control) of Chapter 25 shall not be applicable to the corporation, whether or not the amendment is adopted in conformance with the procedures specified in those subchapters, which amendment may take effect immediately without regard to any passage of time otherwise required by those subchapters; or

(iii) otherwise altering, amending or repealing any provision of the articles or bylaws notwithstanding any provision therein that the articles or bylaws may be altered, amended or repealed only under certain conditions or only upon receiving the approval of a specified number or percentage of votes of shareholders or of a class of shareholders;

(4) be dissolved, transfer all or part of its assets, merge, consolidate, participate in a share exchange, divide or convert to a nonprofit corporation, as permitted by this chapter, but in any such case a shareholder shall not be entitled to dissenters rights with respect to his shares;

(5) authorize and fix the terms, manner and conditions of the issuance of obligations, whether or not convertible into shares of any class or series, or bearing warrants or other evidence of optional rights to purchase or subscribe for shares of any class or series; or

(6) lease its property and franchises to any person.

(c) Cross reference.--See the definition of "officer" in section 1103 (relating to definitions).

(Dec. 19, 1990, P.L.834, No.198, eff. imd.)

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Pennsylvania may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.