2016 Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes
Title 75 - VEHICLES
Chapter 77 - Snowmobiles and All-Terrain Vehicles
Section 7726 - Operation in safe manner
(a) General rule.--No person shall operate a snowmobile or an ATV in any of the following ways:
(1) At a rate of speed that is unreasonable or improper under existing conditions or in excess of the maximum limits posted for vehicular traffic.
(2) In any careless way so as to endanger the person or property of another.
(3) While under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance.
(b) Permitting unsafe operation.--No owner or other person having charge or control of a snowmobile or an ATV shall knowingly authorize or permit the operation of the snowmobile or ATV by any person who is incapable to do so by reason of age, physical or mental disability, or who is under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance.
(c) Operation on highways and streets open to snowmobiles or ATV's and vehicular traffic.--No person shall operate a snowmobile or ATV in any of the following ways on highways and streets open to snowmobiles or ATV's and vehicular traffic:
(1) Upon the left side of highways or streets, except one-way streets, or as specified in paragraph (2).
(2) Ride two snowmobiles or ATV's abreast. Snowmobiles and ATV's shall be operated in single file except when overtaking another vehicle. The driver of any vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass at a safe distance to the left thereof, until safely clear of such overtaken vehicle. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit a driver overtaking the passing upon the right of another vehicle which is making or about to make a left turn. The driver of a vehicle shall not drive to the left side of the center of a highway in overtaking or passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, unless the left side is clearly visible and is free of oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance ahead to permit the overtaking or passing to be made in safety.
(3) Turn to the right or left at an intersection or stop or decrease speed at an intersection without signaling as stated in this paragraph. The driver shall extend his hand and arm from the left side of the vehicle in the following manner to indicate as stated:
(i) Left turn or other vehicle movement toward left, hand and arm extended horizontally.
(ii) Right turn or other vehicle movement toward right, left hand and arm extended outward and pointed upward from the elbow.
(iii) Stop or decrease speed, either the left or right hand and arm extended upward.
(4) Disobey any traffic signal or signs placed in accordance with this title unless otherwise directed by a peace officer.
(5) Without a securely fastened helmet on the head of an individual who operates or is a passenger on a snowmobile or ATV or who is being towed or otherwise propelled by a snowmobile. The department shall specify the types of helmets allowed through rules and regulations.
(July 11, 1985, P.L.220, No.56, eff. 60 days)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Pennsylvania may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.