2016 Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes
Title 18 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES
Chapter 63 - Minors
Section 6304 - Sale and use of air rifles
§ 6304. Sale and use of air rifles.
(a) Sale or transfer of air rifles.--
(1) It shall be unlawful for any dealer to sell, lend, rent, give, or otherwise transfer an air rifle to any person under the age of 18 years, where the dealer knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, the person to be under 18 years of age, or where such dealer has failed to make reasonable inquiry relative to the age of such person, and such person is under 18 years of age.
(2) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, give, lend, or otherwise transfer any air rifle to any person under 18 years of age, except where the relationship of parent and child, guardian and ward or adult instructor and pupil exists between such person and the person under 18 years of age.
(b) Carrying or discharging air rifles.--
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person under 18 years of age to carry any air rifle on the highways or public lands unless accompanied by an adult, except that a person under 18 years of age may carry such rifle unloaded in a suitable case or securely wrapped.
(2) It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any air rifle from or across any highway or public land or any public place, except on a properly constructed target range.
(1) Nothing in this section shall make it unlawful for any person under 18 years of age to have in his possession any air rifle, if it is:
(i) kept within his domicile;
(ii) used by the person under 18 years of age and he is a duly enrolled member of any club, team or society organized for educational purposes and maintaining as part of its facilities or having written permission to use an indoor or outdoor rifle range under the supervision, guidance and instruction of a responsible adult, and then only, if said air rifle is actually being used in connection with the activities of said club, team or society under the supervision of a responsible adult; or
(iii) used in or on any private grounds or residence under circumstances when such air rifle can be fired, discharged or operated in such a manner as not to endanger persons or property, and then only, if it is used in such manner as to prevent the projectile from transversing any grounds or space outside the limits of such grounds or residence.
(2) Nothing in this section shall prohibit sales of air rifles:
(i) By wholesale dealers or jobbers.
(ii) To be shipped out of this Commonwealth.
(iii) To be used at a target range operated in accordance with paragraph (1) of this subsection or by members of the armed services of the United States or veterans' organizations.
(d) Seizure.--Any law enforcement officer may seize, take, remove or cause to be removed, at the expense of the owner, all air rifles used or offered for sale in violation of this section.
(e) No preemption.--The provisions of any ordinance enacted by any political subdivision which impose greater restrictions or limitations in respect to the sale and purchase, use or possession of air rifles, than is imposed by this section, shall not be invalidated or affected by this section.
(f) Grading.--Any dealer violating the provisions of paragraph (a)(1) of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree. Any person violating any other provision of this section shall be guilty of a summary offense.
(g) Definitions.--As used in this section the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection: "Air rifle." Any air gun, air pistol, spring gun, spring pistol, B-B gun, or any implement that is not a firearm, which impels a pellet of any kind with a force that can reasonably be expected to cause bodily harm. The term does not include a paintball gun or paintball marker as defined in section 2707.2 (relating to paintball guns and paintball markers). "Dealer." Any person engaged in the business of selling at retail or renting any air rifles. (Dec. 22, 2005, P.L.449, No.85, eff. 60 days)
2005 Amendment. Act 85 amended subsec. (g).
Cross References. Section 6304 is referred to in section 6120 of this title.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Pennsylvania may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.