2014 Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes
Title 23 - DOMESTIC RELATIONS
Chapter 63 - Child Protective Services
Section 6373 - General protective services responsibilities of county agency
§ 6373. General protective services responsibilities of county agency.
(a) Program objectives.--Each county agency is responsible for administering a program of general protective services to children and youth that is consistent with the agency's objectives to:
(1) Keep children in their own homes, whenever possible.
(2) Prevent abuse, neglect and exploitation.
(3) Overcome problems that result in dependency.
(4) Provide temporary, substitute placement in a foster family home or residential child-care facility for a child in need of care.
(5) Reunite children and their families whenever possible when children are in temporary, substitute placement.
(6) Provide a permanent, legally assured family for a child in temporary, substitute care who cannot be returned to his own home.
(7) Provide services and care ordered by the court for children who have been adjudicated dependent.
(b) Efforts to prevent need for removal from home.--In its effort to assist the child and the child's parents, pursuant to Federal regulations, the county agency will make reasonable efforts prior to the placement of a child in foster care to prevent or eliminate the need for removal of the child from his home and to make it possible for the child to return to home.
(c) Assistance in obtaining available benefits.--The county agency shall aid the child and the family in obtaining benefits and services for which they may qualify under Federal, State and local programs.
(d) Duplication of services.--Except where ordered by the court in a proceeding brought under 42 Pa.C.S. Ch. 63 (relating to juvenile matters), a county agency shall not be required to duplicate services which are the statutory responsibility of any other agency.
(Dec. 16, 1994, P.L.1292, No.151, eff. July 1, 1997)
1994 Amendment. Act 151 added section 6373.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Pennsylvania may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.