2014 Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes
Title 23 - DOMESTIC RELATIONS
Chapter 63 - Child Protective Services
Section 6338.1 - Expunction of information of perpetrator who was under 18 years of age when child abuse was committed
§ 6338.1. Expunction of information of perpetrator who was under 18 years of age when child abuse was committed.
(a) General rule.--The name of a perpetrator who is the subject of an indicated report of child abuse and who was under 18 years of age when the individual committed child abuse shall be expunged from the Statewide database when the individual reaches 21 years of age or when five years have elapsed since the perpetrator's name was added to the database, whichever is later, if the individual meets all of the following:
(1) The individual has not been named as a perpetrator in any subsequent indicated report of child abuse and is not named as an alleged perpetrator in a child abuse report pending investigation.
(2) The individual has never been convicted or adjudicated delinquent following a determination by the court that the individual committed an offense under section 6344(c) (relating to employees having contact with children; adoptive and foster parents), and no proceeding is pending seeking such conviction or adjudication.
(3) The child abuse which resulted in the inclusion of the perpetrator's name in the database did not involve the use of a deadly weapon, as defined under 18 Pa.C.S. § 2301 (relating to definitions).
(b) Mandated expunction.--If the perpetrator meets all of the requirements under subsection (a), the expunction shall be mandated and guaranteed by the department.
(c) Nonapplicability.--The provisions of this section shall not apply to any of the following cases:
(1) A perpetrator who is the subject of a founded report of child abuse.
(2) A sexually violent delinquent child, as defined in 42 Pa.C.S. § 9799.12 (relating to definitions), who meets all of the following:
(i) Is required to register under 42 Pa.C.S. Ch. 97 Subch. H (relating to registration of sexual offenders).
(ii) Was found delinquent as a result of the same acts which resulted in the sexually violent delinquent child being named a perpetrator of child abuse.
(3) A juvenile offender, as defined in 42 Pa.C.S. § 9799.12, who meets all of the following:
(i) Is required to register under 42 Pa.C.S. Ch. 97 Subch. H as a result of an adjudication of delinquency for the same acts which resulted in the juvenile offender being named a perpetrator of child abuse.
(ii) Has not been removed from the Statewide Registry of Sexual Offenders pursuant to 42 Pa.C.S. § 9799.17 (relating to termination of period of registration for juvenile offenders).
(4) A sexual offender, as defined in 42 Pa.C.S. § 9799.12, who meets all of the following:
(i) Is required to register under 42 Pa.C.S. Ch. 97 Subch. H as a result of a criminal conviction for the same acts which resulted in the sexual offender being named a perpetrator of child abuse.
(ii) Has not completed the period of registration required under 42 Pa.C.S. § 9799.15 (relating to period of registration).
(Dec. 18, 2013, P.L.1195, No.117, eff. Dec. 31, 2014; May 14, 2014, P.L.653, No.45, eff. Dec. 31, 2014; Oct. 22, 2014, P.L.2529, No.153, eff. Dec. 31, 2014)
2014 Amendment. Act 45 amended subsec. (a)(1) and Act 153 amended subsec. (a)(2).
2013 Amendment. Act 117 added section 6338.1.
Cross References. Section 6338.1 is referred to in section 6341 of this title.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Pennsylvania may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.