2010 Pennsylvania Code
Title 75 - VEHICLES
Chapter 35 - Special Vehicles and Pedestrians
3542 - Right-of-way of pedestrians in crosswalks.

     § 3542.  Right-of-way of pedestrians in crosswalks.
        (a)  General rule.--When traffic-control signals are not in
     place or not in operation, the driver of a vehicle shall yield
     the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any
     marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an
        (b)  Exercise of care by pedestrian.--No pedestrian shall
     suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run
     into the path of a vehicle which is so close as to constitute a
        (c)  Limitation on vehicles passing.--Whenever any vehicle is
     stopped at any crosswalk at an intersection or at any marked
     crosswalk to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, the
     driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not
     overtake and pass the stopped vehicle.
        (d)  Application of section.--Subsection (a) does not apply
     under the conditions stated in section 3543(b) (relating to
     pedestrians crossing at other than crosswalks).
        (e)  Penalties.--The driver of a vehicle who violates
     subsection (a) commits a summary offense and shall, upon
     conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of $50.
     (June 25, 2001, P.L.701, No.68, eff. 120 days; June 26, 2001,
     P.L.734, No.75, eff. 60 days)

        2001 Amendments.  Act 75 overlooked the amendment by Act 68,
     but the amendments do not conflict in substance (except for the
     amount of the fine, as to which Act 75 has been given effect)
     and have both been given effect in setting forth the text of
     section 3542.
        Cross References.  Section 3542 is referred to in section
     1535 of this title.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Pennsylvania may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.