2019 Oregon Revised Statutes
Volume : 07 - Public Facilities and Finance
Chapter 293 - Administration of Public Funds
Section 293.226 - Use of Social Security numbers for state agency debt collection activities; disclosure notice; rules.
(1) Subject to subsection (2) of this section, a state agency may request that a person voluntarily supply the person’s Social Security number for use in collecting debts owed to the State of Oregon on any document relating to any monetary obligation or transaction. A state agency that so requests shall include on the document a notice disclosing that the Social Security number is requested for and may be used for state agency debt collection activities.
(2) The Oregon Department of Administrative Services shall adopt rules:
(a) Specifying the form of the notice, including provisions specifying when the notice must state whether the disclosure of a Social Security number is voluntary or mandatory; and
(b) Setting procedures for the sharing of Social Security numbers between state agencies, and between the Department of Revenue and private collection agencies, for the purpose of collecting debts owed state agencies.
(3) If a person is required to provide the person’s Social Security number to a state agency under federal or state law for purposes other than collection of a debt owed to the State of Oregon, the agency may not use the Social Security number for debt collection purposes, except:
(a) When the agency requests that the person voluntarily disclose the person’s Social Security number for the purpose of collecting debts owed to the State of Oregon, the agency provides the notice required under subsection (1) of this section and the person subsequently voluntarily provides the person’s Social Security number; or
(b) When otherwise allowed under state or federal law.
(4) A state agency, the Department of Revenue or a private collection agency that is collecting a liquidated and delinquent account may use a Social Security number collected under this section, or collected as otherwise allowed by law, to collect any debt owed a state agency or local government by the person associated with the Social Security number.
(5) Nothing in this section authorizes a state agency, the Department of Revenue or a private collection agency that is collecting a liquidated and delinquent account to use or disclose a Social Security number for any reason other than a reason specified in this section.
(6) Rules adopted under subsection (2) of this section do not apply to the judicial department as defined in ORS 174.113, the Secretary of State or the State Treasurer.
(7)(a) As used in this section, "state agency" means any state officer, board, commission, corporation, institution, department or other state organization.
(b) Notwithstanding ORS 182.460, 284.118, 284.375, 377.836, 421.352, 656.753 and 757.552, "state agency" includes semi-independent state agencies listed in ORS 182.454, the Oregon Tourism Commission, the Oregon Film and Video Office, the Travel Information Council, the Children’s Trust Fund of Oregon Foundation, Oregon Corrections Enterprises, the State Accident Insurance Fund Corporation and the Oregon Utility Notification Center. [2015 c.766 §1; 2017 c.746 §17; 2019 c.278 §14]
Note: 293.226 was enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but was not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 293 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.