2013 Oregon Revised Statutes
Volume : 03 - Landlord-Tenant, Domestic Relations, Probate
Chapter 109 - Parent and Child Rights and Relationships
Section 109.570 - Legislative findings.

OR Rev Stat § 109.570 (2013) What's This?

The Legislative Assembly finds that:

(1) Current economic and cultural circumstances are such that relatives of minor children are playing an increasing role in ensuring the health, safety and education of minor children who, for many reasons, cannot live with and are not being cared for by their parents or guardians, and for whom legal proceedings have not been initiated or undertaken to establish legal guardianships or placements under the laws of this state.

(2) Relatives of minor children are frequently asked, with minimal notice, to provide housing and health care, and to make educational decisions, for minor children who are left in their care.

(3) Relative caregivers frequently face barriers to obtaining necessary and appropriate medical treatment and educational services for minor children left in their care.

(4) These barriers pose a significant challenge to relative caregivers in dealing with health care providers and schools, and pose a substantial threat to the health, safety and welfare of minor children in this state.

(5) It is necessary to provide legal authority for relative caregivers to access necessary and appropriate medical treatment and educational services for minor children who are left in the relative caregivers' care and who are without legal parents or guardians who can otherwise provide for them. [2013 c.231 §1]

Note: 109.570 to 109.580 were enacted into law by the Legislative Assembly but were not added to or made a part of ORS chapter 109 or any series therein by legislative action. See Preface to Oregon Revised Statutes for further explanation.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Oregon may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.