2019 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 47. Motor Vehicles
§47-6-102. Persons exempt – Reciprocity agreements with foreign countries.

Universal Citation: 47 OK Stat § 47-6-102 (2019)

A. A nonresident who is sixteen (16) years of age or older may operate a motor vehicle in this state as authorized by the class, restrictions, and endorsements specified on the license, if the nonresident is:

1. Properly licensed in the home state or country to operate a commercial or noncommercial motor vehicle and who has immediate possession of a valid driver license issued by the home state or country; or

2. A member of the Armed Forces of the United States or the spouse or dependent of such member who has been issued and is in possession of a valid driver license issued by an overseas component of the Armed Forces of the United States.

B. A resident who is at least fifteen (15) years of age may operate a vehicle in this state without a driver license, if the resident is:

1. Operating a vehicle pursuant to subsection B of Section 6-105 of this title; or

2. Taking the driving skills examination as required by Section 6-110 of this title, when accompanied by a Driver License Examiner of the Department of Public Safety or by a designated examiner approved and certified by the Department.

C. Any person, while in the performance of official duties, may operate any class of motor vehicle if the person possesses any class of valid Oklahoma driver license or a valid driver license issued by another state, if the person is:

1. A member of the Armed Forces of the United States who is on active duty;

2. A member of the military reserves, not including United States reserve technician;

3. A member of the National Guard who is on active duty, including National Guard military technicians;

4. A member of the National Guard who is on part-time National Guard training, including National Guard military technicians; or

5. A member of the United States Coast Guard who is on active duty.

D. The Commissioner of Public Safety is hereby authorized to adopt rules as may be necessary to enter into reciprocity agreements with foreign countries. The rules shall specify that the driver license standards of the foreign country shall be comparable to those of this state. The rules shall also require foreign drivers, who are operating a motor vehicle in Oklahoma under such a reciprocity agreement, to comply with the compulsory motor vehicle liability insurance and financial responsibility laws of this state.

Added by Laws 1961, p. 341, § 6-102, eff. Sept. 1, 1961. Amended by Laws 1975, c. 200, § 1; Laws 1990, c. 219, § 11, eff. Jan. 1, 1991; Laws 1991, c. 162, § 4, emerg. eff. May 7, 1991; Laws 1992, c. 217, § 5, eff. July 1, 1992; Laws 1998, c. 345, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 1998; Laws 2001, c. 131, § 6, eff. July 1, 2001; Laws 2002, c. 86, § 3, emerg. eff. April 17, 2002; Laws 2004, c. 418, § 8, eff. July 1, 2004; Laws 2005, c. 457, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2005; Laws 2006, c. 311, § 6, emerg. eff. June 8, 2006.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Oklahoma may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.