2018 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 70. Schools
§70-6-101.16. Oklahoma Teacher and Leader Effectiveness Evaluation System.
A. By December 15, 2011, the State Board of Education shall adopt a new statewide system of evaluation to be known as the Oklahoma Teacher and Leader Effectiveness Evaluation System (TLE). The Board shall work cooperatively with school districts to incorporate the components of the TLE in all school districts by the 2017-2018 school year as provided for in Section 6-101.10 of this title.
B. The TLE shall include the following components:
1. Annual evaluations that provide feedback to improve student learning and outcomes, except as provided for in subsection C of this section;
2. A five-tier district evaluation rating system as follows:
d.needs improvement, and
3. An evidence-based qualitative assessment tool for the teacher qualitative portion of the TLE that will include observable and measurable characteristics of personnel and classroom practices that are correlated to student performance success, including, but not limited to:
a.organizational and classroom management skills,
b.ability to provide effective instruction,
c.focus on continuous improvement and professional growth,
d.interpersonal skills, and
4. An evidence-based qualitative assessment tool for the leader qualitative portion of the TLE that will include observable and measurable characteristics of personnel and site management practices that are correlated to student performance success, including, but not limited to:
a.organizational and school management, including retention and development of effective teachers and dismissal of ineffective teachers,
c.professional growth and responsibility,
e.leadership skills, and
5. An individualized program of professional development for all teachers and administrators as adopted by the school district board of education as set forth in subsection B of Section 6-101.10 of this title;
6. For districts choosing to use, at their own expense, quantitative measures of teachers and leaders as part of the district evaluation rating, such measures shall include a minimum of one reliable, research-based measure as approved by the State Board of Education pursuant to subsection D of this section; and
7. For all district evaluations, student performance, including performance on the statewide criterion-referenced tests if available, shall be discussed with the teacher and may be one of the considerations for the teacher's district evaluation rating.
C. Career teachers receiving a district evaluation rating of "superior" or "highly effective" under the TLE may be evaluated once every three (3) years.
D. By December 1, 2015, the Teacher and Leader Effectiveness Commission shall recommend to the State Board of Education multiple reliable, research-based measures to provide a quantitative evaluation component for teachers. The State Board of Education shall approve and publish a list of approved measures by February 1, 2016.
E. A school district with an average daily attendance of more than thirty-five thousand (35,000) which has incorporated quantitative components of the TLE into its evaluation system of teachers and administrators prior to the 2015-2016 school year may continue using its evaluation system, as defined by the school district's written policies, notwithstanding the provisions of this section and regardless of the State Board of Education's adoption of quantitative components pursuant to this section.
F. The State Department of Education shall provide to the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education and the Oklahoma Commission for Educational Quality and Accountability timely electronic data linked to teachers and leaders derived from the TLE for purposes of providing a basis for the development of accountability and quality improvements of the teacher preparation system. The data shall be provided in a manner and at such times as agreed upon between the Department, the State Regents and the Commission.
G. For purposes of this section, "leader" means a principal, assistant principal or any other school administrator who is responsible for supervising classroom teachers.
H. The State Department of Education shall keep all data collected pursuant to the TLE and records of annual evaluations received pursuant to this section confidential. Records created pursuant to this section which identify, in any way, a current or former public employee shall not be subject to disclosure under the Oklahoma Open Records Act. Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit disclosure otherwise required by this section; provided, however, any provisions requiring disclosure of TLE records shall be construed narrowly and all individually identifying information shall be removed from such records to the fullest extent possible.
Added by Laws 2010, c. 291, § 6, eff. July 1, 2010. Amended by Laws 2011, c. 177, § 1, eff. July 1, 2011; Laws 2013, c. 10, § 2, eff. July 1, 2013; Laws 2013, c. 373, § 4; Laws 2014, c. 130, § 2, eff. Nov. 1, 2014; Laws 2015, c. 54, § 29, emerg. eff. April 10, 2015; Laws 2015, c. 365, § 4, eff. July 1, 2015; Laws 2016, c. 301, § 4, eff. July 1, 2016.
NOTE: Laws 2014, c. 331, § 3 repealed by Laws 2015, c. 54, § 30, emerg. eff. April 10, 2015.