2018 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 70. Schools
§70-5-161. Amendment of budget.

Universal Citation: 70 OK Stat § 70-5-161 (2018)

A. The governing body may amend the budget to make supplemental appropriations to any fund up to the amount of additional revenues which are available for current expenses as shown by a fund balance for the fund due to:

1. Revenues received or allocated from sources not anticipated in the budget for that year;

2. Revenues received or allocated from anticipated sources but in excess of the budget estimates therefor; or

3. Unexpended unencumbered cash balances on hand at the end of the preceding fiscal year which had not been anticipated in the budget. Any appropriation authorizing the creating of an indebtedness shall be governed by the applicable provisions of Article X of the Oklahoma Constitution.

B. If at any time during the budget year it appears probable that revenues available will be insufficient to meet the amount appropriated, or that due to unforeseen emergencies there temporarily is insufficient money in a particular fund to meet the requirements of appropriation for the fund, the governing body may amend the budget to reduce one or more appropriations or it may amend the budget to transfer money from one fund to another fund, but no appropriation for debt service may be reduced and no appropriation may be reduced by more than the amount of the unencumbered and unexpended balance. No transfer shall be made from the debt service fund to any other fund except as may be permitted by the terms of the bond issue or by law.

C. Any budget amendment, as provided in this section, authorizing supplemental appropriations or a decrease or change in appropriation or funds shall be adopted by the governing body at a meeting held in accordance with the Oklahoma Open Meeting Act and filed with the clerk of the board of education, the county excise board of each county in which the school district is located, and the State Auditor and Inspector.

Added by Laws 1996, c. 178, § 13, eff. July 1, 1996.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Oklahoma may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.