2018 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 70. Schools
§70-4103. Accreditation for private and out-of-state public degree-granting institutions
A. As used in this section:
1. "Degree-granting institution" means an institution that offers education leading to an associate's degree or higher;
2. "Non-degree-granting activity" means offering education or training that does not lead to an associate's degree or higher; and
3. "State authorization reciprocity agreement" means an agreement among states, districts and territories that establishes comparable standards for providing distance education from their postsecondary educational institutions to out-of-state students.
B. All private and out-of-state public degree-granting institutions shall be accredited by a national or regional accrediting agency which is recognized by the Secretary of the United States Department of Education as a reliable authority as to the quality of education or training offered by institutions of higher education for the purposes of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended. Additionally, for the purposes of consumer protection and to maintain financial eligibility for Title IV funding as described in 34 CFR Part 600, institutions shall be authorized according to the policies and procedures established by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education. These policies and procedures shall be limited to a complaint process provision, standards for operation, stipulations for a written enrollment agreement between the institution and the student and reporting requirements. The following institutions shall be exempt from this section:
1. Private institutions participating in the Oklahoma Tuition Equalization Grant program; and
2. Out-of-state public and private institutions participating in a state authorization reciprocity agreement that only conduct activities in Oklahoma that are acceptable under the terms and conditions of the state authorization reciprocity agreement.
C. Non-exempt institutions engaged in non-degree granting activities, such as offering certificates and diplomas, shall be subject to the standards administered by the Oklahoma Board of Private Vocational Schools.
Added by Laws 1965, c. 396, § 1103, eff. July 1, 1965. Amended by Laws 1996, c. 284, § 1, eff. July 1, 1996; Laws 2016, c. 216, § 1.